[Vision2020] Miscellaneous Thoughts about the Moscow Civic Association and Christ Church

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu Oct 4 06:53:56 PDT 2007

"Let's just stick to the facts, instead of these lies that you try to
portray. Both GMA and MCA have great ideas, both of which should be listened
to. Trying to make GMA the enemy does little for your character. Clean it
up."

-          Matt Decker (October 2, 2007)

Note to Mr. Decker:  Your comments concerning the following, please.

For those of you who lack permitted access to Mr. Courtney' BLog, I have
attached the PDF file of this article to this posting.

>From Dale Courtney's Blog at:

http://right-mind.us/blogs/blog_0/archive/2007/10/03/55026.aspx

-----

Miscellaneous Thoughts about the Moscow Civic Association and Christ Church

One of my readers (who does not attend Christ Church) sent me the following.
I thought it was really interesting:

"1. It's kind of funny that MCA has had the name of their organization wrong
on the "TITLE" of their web site.  "Moscow Civic Organization" instead of
"Moscow Civic Association".

Archived versions of their web site, title is wrong back to Feb 18, 2007:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.moscowcivic.org/
<http://web.archive.org/web/*/http:/www.moscowcivic.org/>

2)  They talk about Christ Church on their web site:
http://www.moscowcivic.org/urban.html

Urban Myth #4: MCA is focused on opposing Christ Church.

The MCA's focus is upon preserving and maintaining Moscow's rich and diverse
character. We are not a partisan organization, nor are we a religious one.

Therefore, when issues involving the city tax base, occupancy matters,
support for our downtown business community, or parking concerns arise we
will become engaged, REGARDLESS of who is involved. The MCA does not
discriminate based upon religion, race, nationality, or sexual orientation.

It doesn't exactly match what Bill London originally wrote about them in the
Moscow Food Co-Op newsletter, paragraph 1
(http://www.moscowfood.coop/archive/civic.html)

I remember thinking, as we discussed this Moscow Civic Association concept,
"This could really work. This could really change the way Moscow is headed."
This discussion was back in July, as the city nudity ordinance was
fast-tracked into law. Eight of us met around the kitchen table and
discovered that we all viewed the ordinance as a dumb idea pushed onto a
pliant City Council, and saw the Council's quick support as a symptom of a
real political problem here in Moscow. We agreed that the politically
progressive citizens of Moscow needed to get organized and rescue their town
from a Council that looked like a committee of the Chamber of Commerce and
from a politically-active minority with a religious-right agenda.

Or various other comments Bill London has made about Doug Wilson. For
instance in the Daily News

(http://www.dnews.com/archived-story/Local/55456/):

"Doug Wilson is a political figure and Christ Church has a political
agenda."

And what was the catalyst for starting MCA?
(http://www.dnews.com/archived-story/Local/42746/)

Douglas Wilson speaking addressing the City Council about the topless
ordinance that was before them:

The first public meeting of a group organized to promote a liberal agenda
for Moscow ran like a well-oiled clock.

.

Those attending Tuesday ranged in age from early 20s to early 80s. Some had
participated in earlier efforts to overturn Moscow's public nudity law. The
city council's passage of restrictions on showing breast cleavage was among
the sparks for starting the civic association.

Published Wednesday, October 03, 2007 7:50 PM by Right-Mind

-----------------------------

Comments

# re: Miscellaneous Thoughts about the Moscow Civic Association and Christ
Church

Wednesday, October 03, 2007 8:14 PM by April E. Coggins

In my memory, the beginning of the downfall of Moscow began when the
Earthfirsters moved their headquarters to Moscow and no one objected. In my
opinion, you are fighting radical environmentalists. Now they are gaining
degrees in political environmentalism and are currently running the show. It
will take a great deal of fortitude and cunning to get your town back. The
big question remains: Who will step forward?

# re: Miscellaneous Thoughts about the Moscow Civic Association and Christ
Church

Wednesday, October 03, 2007 9:58 PM by Heirdoug

" ...showing breast cleavage was among the sparks for starting the civic
association."

And they have been looking at breast cleavage ever since!

-----

Seeya round town, Moscow.

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)