[Vision2020] Enabling terrorism

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 3 20:17:51 PDT 2007

I'd never studied Earth First! before, so I was curious.

Here is an article describing a tree-spiking incident that resulted in
one man being cut badly and getting his jaw broken.

http://www.iww.org/unions/iu120/local-1/EF/JBari11.shtml

It's not clear if it was EF! or not, but it does seem clear that they
did advocate that kind of action with a manual and even tree-spiking
"workshops".

Here is a manual that was allegedly written by the Unabomber that
describes in detail how to fight motorcyclists in the forest.  It is
ostensibly a manual of what to do if enemy soldiers invade on
motorcycles, but that's obviously a thin cover for the real intention of
hurting motorcyclists by such means as spiked boards, pits, computer
monitors or TVs buried face-up just under the ground, and piano wire
strung between trees, all in order to stop people from terrorizing
chickens or for flipping off the author one too many times.

http://www.mega.nu:8080/ampp/efdm/efdm.html

 From what I've read lately, though, it is likely that the majority of
advocates of tree-spiking are targeting the machinery and not
necessarily the loggers.  So I guess I would file them under criminal
nutcases rather than terrorists, although the motorcycle manual leaves
me with a bad taste in my mouth.

I do agree that the word "terrorist" is being watered down in it's
meaning, but I'd place the blame at the authorities for calling every
event that inconveniences them "terrorism".  For example, the two guys
that placed the advertisements for the "Aqua Teen Hunger Force" show
that caused the Boston authorities to freak out about a terrorist device
are not "terrorists".

Paul