[Vision2020] Oppose Noise Ordinance Modifications

Garrett Clevenger garrettmc at verizon.net
Wed Oct 3 16:07:58 PDT 2007

  Hello,
  I am asking you to take a moment and contact Moscow’s City Council.  Emails are below...
  On October 1, Moscow's City Council unanimously voted yes to modify Moscow’s Noise Ordinance to allow police officers to issue citations without warning and without civilian complaint.  There isn't even a set decibel limit.  It is up to the discretion of the police.

  In other words, if you are making any noise the police deem inappropriate, they can now fine you on the spot on public and private property.

They also did not ask the public for input at the meeting.

The only reason it is not now law is because Linda Pall blocked Bill Lambert from suspending the rules of 3 votes.

  According to our city attorney Randy Fife, our district judge Bill Hamlett has ruled that Idaho law states police officers cannot represent themselves as citizens since their job is to represent all citizens.  It is illegal for them to have the power this proposal gives them.  Therefore, this new proposal seems like it would be struck down if challenged.

  We certainly don't have the power to have our voices heard at the federal level, where civil liberties are on the attack.  Take a moment to have your voice heard by your local representatives.  They are just doing there job trying to solve a problem and need guidance to insure they are not mimicking the erosions on the national level.

 Aaron Ament  aaronament at moscow.com
 Bill Lambert  blambert at ci.moscow.id.us
 Linda Pall  lpall at moscow.com;
 John Weber  jweber at moscow.com
 Tom Lamar  tlamar at moscow.com

  Unfortunately, the city website has not yet posted the new council woman Kit Crane's email.  Perhaps her phone number is in the phonebook?

 Thank you!

   Garrett Clevenger