[Vision2020] boycotting & religion

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Mon Nov 19 09:40:40 PST 2007

Carl,

Of course you are correct! In market-based
systems, the freedom of choice in the market is
essential.  And every individual is free to and
should exercise that choice.  But for individuals
or groups to persuade others to shop or not shop
at a particular store, only to advance their own
political or religious agenda is hostile behavior
and will usually provoke a market
failure(s).  Such actions usually result in
"trade wars" wherein both sides retaliate in a
"tit for tat" strategy - further segmenting the
market.  If such actions persist, the market will
adjust - usually a new party enters the business
niche and the combating groups disappear.  In
this particular battle front, it would appear
that the sides are becoming more clearly defined
- the "for lack of a better " description MCA
group versus the Christ Church group.  Both have
their supporters, both have their detractors.  At
the end of the economic turmoil, neither side
will prevail, both sides will lose - perhaps
several Christ Church businesses will falter,
perhaps some MCA businesses will falter.

For the Moscow area, rich with diversity, it is
difficult to entice a majority of folks to
participate in the trade wars - they are just too
busy with their own lives, agendas,
etc.  Interestingly, the new participants in the
market will likely prosper - most consumers don't
want to get caught up in those ideological
disputes. Those consumers have lots of
alternatives for their shopping dollars.  Perhaps
there are many in town that are waiting for both
boycott lists to be published so that ... well,
you can draw your own conclusions.

Bottom line, you are absolutely right Carl - you
should shop where you want to shop.