[Vision2020] boycotting & religion

Joe Campbell joekc at adelphia.net
Mon Nov 19 07:47:23 PST 2007

Paul,

It is not about beliefs. It has more to do with style. You might think my sister
looks like a dog and that is one thing. If you tell me that my sister looks like a
dog that is another. If you continue to write it in a bi-weekly column or post it
daily on your blog, then that is something else still.

Stop believing the new lie that Harkins is spreading: Criticism of Christ Church
and NSA is a form of religious persecution. Tell me one religious belief that
they have that I do not share?

Do some research about the history of NSA, its three locations, relative to
zoning issues. Come back with those details and I might think that you know
what you're talking about.

Best, Joe

--
Joe Campbell

---- Paul Rumelhart <godshatter at yahoo.com> wrote:

=============
I apologize if I was misinterpreting what you were saying.  However, I
wasn't trying to paint you as the person in charge of boycotting.  You
brought the subject up, I ran with it.  Perhaps because I started the
message off with your name you took it to mean that I was accusing you
of this.  Rereading the second paragraph in my first reply, I can see
how you could take that as a personal attack.  I was just off on a rant
against people who boycott places or call for the same, not necessarily
you.  I didn't mean to imply that you were the one behind the whole
boycotting affair.  My fault for not being clear.

The point that I'm trying to be clear on is that all religious groups or
individuals should be able to believe as they wish - not that they
should be able to believe as they wish as long as they don't upset
anybody else with their beliefs.  I don't care if they believe in human
sacrifice.  All I care about is that they don't actually break the law.
While I believe that everyone should be able to choose whom to give
their money to, I don't like the practice of avoiding businesses whose
employees don't agree with you religiously or politically.

Take the role of women in Christ Church as one example.  I've had many
discussions on this topic with my friend who is a Christ Church member.
I don't agree with him, but I see how he has biblically derived it.
I've also heard him say how the women in his church have bought into the
whole concept and are behind it.  Who am I to condemn this?  Now, if it
turns out that women are forcefully being kept in the church against
their will - then I hope the people responsible see prison time.  If
they don't want to leave the church because they don't want to face
their family's disappointment or they fear being disowned by them,
that's one thing.  If they have been threatened with bodily harm or
something, then that's something else and should be investigated.  In
that case, a law has been broken.

I would be happy to meet with you sometime.  We don't even have to
discuss this topic or even Christ Church.  I think you are a very nice
person and one worthy of respect, and I'm sorry if you think I'm
attacking you personally.  You are a flash of light that often shines
upon a sometimes very dark mailing list.  I look forward to all your
emails.  I just don't always agree with you.

Also, my email has been really slow going out to the list.  I don't know
why, I suspect that yahoo is having problems.

Paul