[Vision2020] Seeking some definitions -- just what do you mean?

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 02:28:26 PST 2007

Paul et. al.

Stating that "morality has nothing to do with religion" requires some
explanation, given that various religions, as practiced by human beings, are
a source of moral principles acted upon, so from an anthropologists
viewpoint, to some extent, morality is tied to religion.  It can be asked if
religion is necessary for society to have consistent moral standards, or if
moral standards derived by other means would allow dispensing with
"religion" as an "enforcer," a very important question, that only begs
another important question, what is religion?

To answer Paul's question as to where we derive our morals from, requires
backing up to define what morals are....Again from an anthropologists
viewpoint, social relations, and genetics (sociobiology), no doubt explain
in part where our morals come from.  But the issue becomes very difficult
when inquiring about the nature of Ethics from the perspective of the master
discipline that explores the ultimate questions about the meaning of human
existence, Philosophy.

Listed as one of the 100 greatest non-fiction books, a small coup for
Philosophy, is G. E. Moore's "Principia Ethica," published in 1903.  It is
now available in full text online at the web link below, under public domain
rights!

Good luck!

http://fair-use.org/g-e-moore/principia-ethica

Note that "Principia Ethica" is listed in the "Board's List" at the web link
below, but not the "Reader's List."  Three books by or about Ayn Rand are
listed in the "Readers List."  Good grief!  I wonder what Ayn Rand would say
about what is (I can't resist!), according to the UK's Stern Report, the
greatest market failure in history, that being the lack of response to
anthropogenic climate change?

http://www.randomhouse.com/modernlibrary/100bestnonfiction.html

Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett