[Vision2020] Noise Ordinance:Decibels In Lewiston City Code

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 15:12:44 PST 2007

Garrett et. al.

I understand your concern, assuming your interpretation of the broad and
perhaps arbitrary discretion the proposed NO might grant police for
ticketing noise offenders, with no warning period.

And then given Dave's objection that decibel meters can be used to give
misleading readings, or are just inherently difficult to work with, even
with the best intentions and knowledge of their use, mandating strict
decibel standards for noise investigations by law enforcement, backed by a
decibel meter reading, creates other problems.  However, I think a high
quality decibel meter that is correctly calibrated and used properly can
offer reliable readings for law enforcement investigations into noise
complaints, though this approach may not cover all relevant cases.

What about multi-apartment complexes where the noise is not heard loudly
from the outside, but through walls?  To test for noise levels the police
would have to enter the apartment from where the noise complaint was issued.

I have not studied the NO city code, or the proposed changes, in detail.
But given Garrett has, perhaps he can explain how noise complaints
from within the closed walls of an apartment complex are addressed?

Ted Moffett