[Vision2020] New NO info...

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 9 16:24:35 PST 2007

"This stated intent of the noise ordinance amendment,
according the the police who wrote it, is to target
repeat offenders,"--GC

  As grateful as I am for Moscow's wonderful police force, I am extremely uncomfortable with police writing legislation that involves them. I think all legislation should be forwarded by private citizens and their elected representatives. That is not to say that we should not seek the wisdom and advice of the police for what works and what doesn't and what we can do to make their objectives safer.

  When the executors of the law become the writers of the law, we have conflict of interest, we have a separation of powers concern.

  Again, I think you Garrett for your interest and hard work on this NO and looking out for the rights of Moscow residents.

  Best,

  Donovan

Garrett Clevenger <garrettmc at verizon.net> wrote:
  Donovan,

This stated intent of the noise ordinance amendment,
according the the police who wrote it, is to target
repeat offenders, what they call "party houses" which
comprise 17% of all noise complaints.

That being the case, I am proposing language that
specfies what those offenses are: loud music during
the night. (yelling and the like are covered by our
current NO)

Living around other people, I don't think it is
realistic to expect no "noise" at all times. But if
you are bothered, you still have the right to complain
and those people face being cited.

I am a light sleeper and have discovered "white noise"
is an incredible sleep aid. I use a fan and it blocks
out much random noise that otherwise would wake me.

If the noise ordinance I provided a link to works for
Boise, our state capital, it seems like it is a good
model to use. The text I provided can either
suplement our current NO, or be a framework to build
around.

Many of the other noise issues you brought up are
covered by our current NO, so I did not address them.
Barking dogs is covered in another section.

For those who want to see our current NO, it is here:

http://www.ci.moscow.id.us/citycode/TITLE10/chapter11.pdf

--- Donovan Arnold

http://www.cityofboise.org/Departments/City_Clerk/PDF/CityCode/Title6/0620.pdf

http://mail.yahoo.com