[Vision2020] US Senator Joe Lieberman Introduces Historic Greenhouse Gas Regulation Legislation

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 01:40:10 PST 2007

All-

Will the new Moscow City Council act to reduce Moscow's contribution of
anthropogenic greenhouse gases, or at least address the issue publicly,
which would help to foster more public awareness and action?  Info below on
historic legislation before the US Congress to regulate anthropogenic
greenhouse gas emissions, with a quote from Senator Lieberman, and web links
to info on other city councils efforts to address this issue, at the bottom:

http://lieberman.senate.gov/newsroom/release.cfm?id=285619

On its own, the America's Climate Security Act (ACSA, S. 2191) is projected
to reduce total U.S. greenhouse-gas emissions by as much as 19% below the
2005 level (4% below the 1990 level) in 2020 and by as much as 63% below the
2005 level in 2050. Lieberman and Warner presented their new bill as the
core of a new federal program that Congress should pass to avert
catastrophic global climate change while enhancing America's energy
security.

"With all the irrefutable evidence we now have corroborating that climate
change is real, dangerous, and proceeding faster than many scientists
predicted, this is the year for Congress to move this critical legislation,"
said Lieberman. "If we fail to start substantially reducing greenhouse gas
emissions in the next couple of years, we risk bequeathing a diminished
world to our grandchildren. Insect-borne diseases such as malaria will spike
as tropical ecosystems expand; hotter air will exacerbate the pollution that
sends children to the hospital with asthma attacks; food insecurity from
shifting agricultural zones will spark border wars; and storms and coastal
flooding from sea-level rise will cause mortality and dislocation."
http://www.cabq.gov/blogs/councilhighlights/2007/02/albuquerque_to_lead_nation_in_1.html

http://www.aspenglobalwarming.com/alliancemembers.cfm

http://www.seattle.gov/council/newsdetail.asp?ID=7817&Dept=28

http://www.eugene-or.gov/portal/server.pt?space=CommunityPage&control=SetCommunity&CommunityID=267&PageID=0