[Vision2020] Prediction/pin drop

Joe Campbell joekc at adelphia.net
Tue Nov 6 17:53:04 PST 2007

Tonight I'm eating dinner at the Silos. Later in the evening I hope to celebrate at the Red Door and then at the One World Cafe. All these places provide food and none discriminates against lesbians. So I won't stave to death at least!

Best, Joe

---- Donovan Arnold <donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com> wrote:

=============
"My sister was a lesbian and I'm not frequenting
any businesses that wouldn’t serve her."

  Joe,

  I think you will starve to death if you stop visiting businesses that don't discriminate against Gays and Lesbians. Giving Gays and Lesbians equal rights in the community is the exception, not the rule.

  Ask all the owners and managers of each store you visit if they give domestic partnership rights. I know UI doesn't, as do most the major chain stores.

  I would also like to point out that the City, State, Roman Catholic Church, Mormon Church, and Southern Baptists also do not treat Gays and Lesbians as equals.

  Best,

  Donovan

Joe Campbell <joekc at adelphia.net> wrote:
  Paul,

I don't determine people's religious beliefs before I shop. Give this up. I’m a
Christian, too, just like the Kirkers.

I happen to know of some businesses downtown that are owned by Kirkers
and I do not frequent them. Personally, I rarely tell others about this -- I feel
forced to do so here, in an effort to try to explain what a proponent of the
flyer might be thinking. Think of me as Crabtree, justifying the 'Bigot' sign
downtown. (It is more than this but let's not go there.)

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that you would continue to
frequent a business, "based on what they sell," even after they stopped
serving you. Were I your friend, I should also keep frequenting them, "based
on what they sell," even if they refuse to serve you.

Well, I can't do this. My sister was a lesbian and I'm not frequenting any
businesses that wouldn’t serve her.

Look, I can wrap my head around being a nice guy -- I was selected
"friendliest" my senior year in high school. I want to understand the Kirkers,
accept them for what they are. But if they won't serve my sister, I won't give
them my business.

This is not 'tit-for-tat.' It is respecting my sister as a person, someone who
when she comes into your shop is deserving of service. If a business cannot
wrap their heads around this idea, they won't get my money.

Best, Joe

---- Paul Rumelhart wrote:

=============
Had I been actively posting at that time, I would have called the owners
of the shop on that one.

I wouldn't say I'm naive so much as disinterested. I don't try to find
out who each business is affiliated with, spiritually speaking. I just
choose to shop there or not based on what they sell, what their service
is like, and what their pricing structure is.

I'm not a big fan of "tit for tat".

Paul

Joe Campbell wrote:
> Paul wrote: "Of course people are free to target a religious group with their
> boycott merely because they disagree with them. And I'm free to stand up
> and tell them how bigoted they are being."
>
> It is worth noting that SOME people have stopped going to Kirk owned stores
> ever since they discovered that one of them refused service to a lesbian
> couple. This was soon followed by a quotation in the Daily News from their
> Pastor that such actions were within the rights of the owners. Which, of
> course, they are. So are making up flyers and staging a boycott.
>
> This seems more like a reaction to bigotry than an instance of it. To suggest
> that folks don't shop Kirk shops merely because they disagree with their
> beliefs is at best naive.
>
> Note I'm not defending the flyer, I'm just trying to help you get a grip on why
> some folks have been led to such actions.
>
> Best, Joe

> List services made available by First Step Internet,
> http://www.fsr.net
> mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com