[Vision2020] Prediction/pin drop

Joe Campbell joekc at adelphia.net
Tue Nov 6 12:35:33 PST 2007

Paul,

I don't determine people's religious beliefs before I shop. Give this up. I’m a
Christian, too, just like the Kirkers.

I happen to know of some businesses downtown that are owned by Kirkers
and I do not frequent them. Personally, I rarely tell others about this -- I feel
forced to do so here, in an effort to try to explain what a proponent of the
flyer might be thinking. Think of me as Crabtree, justifying the 'Bigot' sign
downtown. (It is more than this but let's not go there.)

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that you would continue to
frequent a business, "based on what they sell," even after they stopped
serving you. Were I your friend, I should also keep frequenting them, "based
on what they sell," even if they refuse to serve you.

Well, I can't do this. My sister was a lesbian and I'm not frequenting any
businesses that wouldn’t serve her.

Look, I can wrap my head around being a nice guy -- I was selected
"friendliest" my senior year in high school. I want to understand the Kirkers,
accept them for what they are. But if they won't serve my sister, I won't give
them my business.

This is not 'tit-for-tat.' It is respecting my sister as a person, someone who
when she comes into your shop is deserving of service. If a business cannot
wrap their heads around this idea, they won't get my money.

Best, Joe

---- Paul Rumelhart <godshatter at yahoo.com> wrote:

Had I been actively posting at that time, I would have called the owners
of the shop on that one.

I wouldn't say I'm naive so much as disinterested.  I don't try to find
out who each business is affiliated with, spiritually speaking.  I just
choose to shop there or not based on what they sell, what their service
is like, and what their pricing structure is.

I'm not a big fan of "tit for tat".

Paul