[Vision2020] Prediction/pin drop

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Tue Nov 6 07:32:48 PST 2007

Paul,

I'd like to think I'm one of those people you might admire, except for my "clouded thinking" on this matter.  So I'll jump in.

Your suggestion that the slippery slope of "what's next?  Businesses owned by women?  The disabled?" misses the point entirely.  Women are women ontologically;  I think that can be said also of the disabled.  To engage in a boycott against someone because of their very being would be bigoted.  However, Christ Church members and supporters are not ontologically  Kirkers.  They choose to be.  They choose assent to a set of ideas that many people find offensive; they choose assent to a man who is offensive not because he's a man, but because he's a divisive, mean-spirited, disingenuous, bigoted man.  It's not his "religious views," in terms of basic Christian orthodoxy -- it's his ancillary views, what some might call "secondary doctrines," and his behavior in living them that requires that I do more than just not support them, but actively condemn them.  You'll remember that I'm a devout Trinitarian who holds a high view of the Scriptures.  So are Baptists, Methodists, Bridge Bible Church members, Presbyterians, and Gospel Temple Pentecostals.

It must not be his Christianity that offends me, then.  It must be his arrogant and blatant misrepresentation of the faith and its Author that offends me.  Thank God no one is "born that way," although a devout Calvinist might disagree with me.  But I'm not any kind of Calvinist, so I'm free to believe that as Doug Wilson chooses to act badly, and his followers choose to proclaim allegiance to him, I'm free to not offer a dime in support.

On a quick note, I don't believe "their worldview" casts them as people "deluded by some of those in power" in the church.  They believe they ARE the church, waiting to establish full dominion in Christ; any suffering they've experienced, any disenfranchisement, is to them the chastening of a Sovereign God for their failure to live out that dominion.  Again we disagree.  I think their "suffering" is simply the consequence of really bad behavior and indefensible beliefs rejected by the marketplace of ideas.  And rightly so.

keely