[Vision2020] "Into The Wild"

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Sun Nov 4 20:54:15 PST 2007

Visionaires --

Jeff and I went to see "Into The Wild," the Sean Penn film based on Jon Krakauer's book by the same name, and I would urge all of you to see it.  An astonishingly well-made movie about a very difficult subject -- the protagonist is an idealistic Thoreau/Jack London devotee' who is alternately engaging and annoying, and I found myself entirely caught up in the film even though I had read the book and knew the plot.

Christopher McCandless, the young man portrayed in the movie by Emile Hirsch, was an imperious, stubborn and intractably arrogant twit fond of pontificating at length to anyone who would listen; he was also bright, engaging, kindhearted and funny.  The book was very good, and the film outstanding.

(Note to my friends:  Of course I see the similarities.  I used to be an imperious, stubborn and intractably arrogant twit, too.  Only Dale thinks I still am!)

keely