[Vision2020] Spam from the Future

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 4 11:00:38 PST 2007

Some other differences, too, to go along with what you have already posted:

- Snail mail spam is "legitimate" in that it costs a known business real
money to send it.  That's why I always politely send offers back to the
sender with a prominent "No Thank You" in their handy postage-paid
return envelope.  Sometimes I include a smiley face.  Usually, I remove
identifying information so they don't accidentally think I'm accepting
their offer.

- Snail mail does not cost third-parties to have to keep copies of them
for other users in storage, at their expense, like ISPs have to do.

- Snail mail does not clog the "intertubes", it only clogs the USPS
delivery system (which makes money off of them).

- Snail mail spammers do not break into millions of people's houses and
setup a system to send their mail without the users knowledge.  Most
spam is sent using millions of hacked machines in botnets, almost all of
which are Windows machines owned by average users.

Paul