[Vision2020] the difference (ws personal invitation to Mr. Schwaller)

g. crabtree jampot at adelphia.net
Wed May 30 20:21:51 PDT 2007

Ms. Mix, you state:

"Please understand, though, that while that is my primary concern regarding Sitler, it isn't my only one."

With all due respect, no kidding. I'm fairly certain that that was the main point of my post. I'm afraid I'm going to have to reserve judgment on what I think takes the more prominent position in the list of "things Ms. Mix is concerned about."

You ask:

"can you think of any organization, especially a church, that has behaved as arrogantly as the leadership of the Kirk?   Too subjective?  All right.  Can you think of any organization, especially a church, that has been embroiled in the controversy -- zoning, taxation, accreditation, plagiarism"

I think that your spin here is interesting.  What came first, the chicken or the egg? Would there be any controversy if there wasn't a small but shrill little group to take the slightest perceived problem and attempt to turn it into a county wide scandal? By the numbers: Zoning, resolved in favor of CC/NSA in spite of a mayor and city council that was not inclined to see things there way. Taxation: The board found no evidence of wrong doing and again the matter was resolved in their favor. Accreditation: They are and other then the fact that Nick Giver isn't happy with the situation I'm not sure what the problem is in this regard. Plagiarism: When the error was discovered it was owned up to and corrected. What do you want, seppuku? Don't answer, I'm sure we all know the response already.

" Can you truly believe that a pastor with no formal theological training and no background in psychiatry or psychology, ordained by his own hand-picked group and published by his own hand-cranked press, is truly an expert not only on Latin, the Classics, poetry, architecture, Biblical history, world history, Confederate history, epistemology, hermeneutics, child development, Scripture, and business -- as well as in counseling serial child rapists?"

I have no idea if Mr. Wilson makes expert claims in any of these areas. I am fairly sure that as a pastor it is his job to council and minister to the saints as well as the sinners to the best of his ability. You have said that you were involved with ministering, who ordained you? You express opinion on "Biblical history, world history, Confederate history, epistemology, hermeneutics, child development, Scripture, and business" where are your experts credentials?

"Does he ever seek counsel from anyone not holding a mirror, a pipe, and a pair of slippers?"

Silly rhetoric, you can't possibly know and I certainly don't.

"Do you think that maybe -- just maybe -- Sitler is more than even the estimable Doug Wilson could handle?"

If I thought that Mr. Wilson had or claimed sole responsibility for Mr. Sitler there would be cause for concern. Fortunately the court, probation and parole and several professional councilors, his family and a sizable chunk of the community are involved in his case as well.

"Doug Wilson didn't hide a pedophile while he was offending.  But he hid from all of us that a wolf HAD been harming the sheep in his care, and he bleated louder than any of them when one of them escaped to tell the world."

It is my understanding that according to the authorities (police, prosecutors, etc.) the consensus was that Mr. Wilson along with the elders in his congregation handled the situation well. Why should your opinion override theirs? Do you possess some expertise that the folks in Mr. Thompson's office or at the MPD do not? With regard to "loud bleating" my recollection is that what they expressed concern over was that one of the more reckless Vision members posted the names, addresses, and phone numbers of the victims; and that V2020 turned this into a further victimization of the children in order to attack Wilson. I think he might have had good cause to speak up. At the time there was nothing being posted that was helpful to the community and certainly not the family.