[Vision2020] Jared Diamond and Sod Houses

nickgier at adelphia.net nickgier at adelphia.net
Wed May 30 10:55:28 PDT 2007

Greetings:

As I posted this column on the Vision, I thought I should announce a correction.  Even the best can make mistakes, unless Jared Diamond can come up with an explanation.

Dear Prof. Diamond,

I used information from your book "Collapse" to write a column entitled "Ed the Viking, Greenland, and Global Warming."  (www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/VikingEd.htm.)

One of my readers questioned your claim that a typical sod house consumed 10 acres of grazing land.

He contacted some Viking enthusiasts (see appended calculations below) and they came up with at most one quarter acre for a 16' by 52' sod house.  According to the Hurstwic website on Viking culture, the largest sod houses in Iceland were 23' by 250', but still such a house would consume only about 1.75 acres of sod.

Was this a misprint, or were you relying on other sources?  Or were you thinking of a very, very, large sod house?

Sincerely,

Nick Gier, Professor Emeritus, University of Idaho