[Vision2020] hypermiling revisited

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Wed May 30 08:24:56 PDT 2007

I've been playing around with hypermiling, which I described in a
the amount of change in driving style I wish to put up with.  The
results are interesting.

Using my stripped-down version of hypermiling, I gained an extra 5 mpg
on a trip to St. Maries I took on Saturday.  My car is supposed to get
30 mpg on the highway, but I was consistently getting 35 mpg driving
normally.  I drive a 2006 Subaru Legacy with an automatic transmission.
On my trip on Saturday, I averaged 40 mpg which is a 14% increase.
Using a price of $3.29 per gallon (which is what Tesoro was last night)
and extending that mpg out to a whole tank, I either extended my
effective range by 84.5 miles (from 591.50 to 676.00), reduced the
effective amount I paid per gallon to $2.88, or saved myself $6.95 I
would otherwise have paid to go that extra 84.5 miles.  Not bad for one
tank of gas.

Here is my very simple and easy-to-live-with hypermiling routine I used:

- accelerate slowly, take longer to get up to speed
- use the "sports shifting" feature of my car to control when it shifts
(like a manual without a clutch)
- allow your speed to fall by 5 mph or so when going up a hill
- use hills whenever possible to help acceleration
- coast to stops (not in neutral) from farther away, in a higher gear if
possible
- allow your speed to increase to 5mph above the speed limit going down
hills if you're about to go up another one

That's it.  I was conscious of others behind me - I would accelerate
faster if I was slowing them down and going under the speed limit.  If
someone was on my tail while I was going the speed limit, I ignored
them.  All-in-all, the only difference really was a leisurely drive
instead of a frenetic one.

Doing this requires some patience, but that's a small price to pay if
you want to save some gas.

Paul