[Vision2020] Schwaller whiffs again

Glenn Schwaller vpschwaller at gmail.com
Tue May 29 18:03:35 PDT 2007

Mr Herodotus,

Let me begin by addressing your last comments first, since I suspect
most people are going to say "OH  @&*$#!!  Not more of this?!?"  and
stop reading

"Back to my original question that you refuse to answer: First, by
what standard do you attribute "some modicum of sincerity" to an
apology delivered by the psychopath Sitler?

Having worked for several months with Mr Sitler and other sex
offenders in our area, I felt he was grasping, through his previous
and ongoing treatment, the fact he was lacking in conscience and in
feelings for others, that is poor impulse control and manipulative
behavior allowed him to take what he wanted and do as he pleased.  I
believe a true psychopath feels he is doing no wrong, much like you
and I feel going to the grocery store is not wrong.  I someone tells
you "Hey - you can't go to the grocery store.  That's wrong!"  you're
not going to believe them, much less apologize for it.  It's only
through individual and group therapy and treatment that one begins to
"unlearn" previous behaviors and perceived truths, and begin to learn
what is morally and ethically correct and acceptable.  I simply feel
Mr Sitler is starting to "get it", is beginning to feel apologetic
about his actions, and hence his modicum (small or token) sincerity in
any apology.  Maybe he just feels sorry for getting caught.  And I'm
sure he does, but I believe it is slowly sinking in that he is sorry
for his actions.  But I'm still not going to trust him with MY kids
nor anyone elses.

"and by what standard do you ask Messieurs Fox and Hansen to apologize?"

  I guess the standard would be that I don't believe there to be any
justification by anyone at anytime to, as you say "suggest putting his
family at risk with the hope of teaching him a lesson."  I find that
to be as evil and morally reprehensible as anything Mr Sitler has done

Well I admit picking on poor Ms Opyr was a bit of a cheap shot - but I
suppose I thought we were entitled to at least one on this venue.  I
guess what caught my eye was a blanket three-quarters recidivism rate.
 And I'm not sure where that number came from, but I don't know that
it matters all that much.

My point was, I don't believe it is possible to give you a definitive
answer.  Be it sex offenders in general or pedophiles in specific, the
numbers are all over the place.  You came up with a number:
"pedophiles who molest boys . . . were. . . the most likely to
recidivate at (a) rate of 52%"   But I point out in that same article
a study cites "no statistical difference in recidivism rates between
offenders who were subjected to notification in Washington (19%) and
those who were not (22%)."

I don't know how many boys Mr Sitler abused; I do know that one victim
was a girl.  So in Mr sitler's case, I don't know if 52% (or 19% or
22%) holds or not.  I'm not trying to be "cute" - I'm trying to point
out, yet again to you, that there is no one number for me to give.
Apparently there is no one number for ANYONE to give.

I believe you neglected to mention the part BEFORE the 52% rate
(Research studies by the US Department of Justice and the Canadian
Government have found that sexual offense recidivism rates are much
lower than commonly believed).  Now granted the article states "sexual
offense" rather than "pedophile" but specific terminology seems to be
applied in a somewhat loose manner.  The article also states AFTER the
statistic you quote "those who comply with probation and treatment
have lower reoffense rates that (sic) those who violate the conditions
of their release."  So again it appears these authors are not even
sure of the 52% rate.  So let me state it to you once again:  I don't
believe there is one number for me to give.

I don't know anything about the Association for the Treatment of
Sexual Abusers (ATSA), the site from which you obtained that number,
but I found it to be an informative article.  I believe it to be much
more credible than a couple of the other "references" you cite
(Pyschology Diagnosis Dictionary and the Encyclopedia of Mind
Disorders).  I would suggest everyone give the ATSA article a read.
(www.atsa.com/ppOffenderFacts.html).  Particularly in light of the
fact there are many nuggets of information you seem to have deemed not
relevant:

"Some research indicates that sex offenders who successfully complete
a treatment program reoffend less often than those who do not
demonstrate that they "got it"  (Marques, Miederanders, Dany, Nelson
and van Ommeren, in Sexual Abuse, A Journal of Research and Treatment
2005"

I believe this was one of the reasons Mr Sitler received the jail time
he got, rather than the prison sentence:  He would have been eligible
for parole in 5 years, but have received no treatment during his
incarceration.

Also, even though you didn't specifically bring it up, many others
have questioned how can Mr Sitler live is such close proximity to
schools, parks, shopping malls.   And some went, as you so elegantly
put, "positively bananas" over the notification lag in time for Mr
Sitler's registry.  This was apparently also the case for Mr Wilson's
lack of community notification as well.  Let me state for the record,
despite the arguments the ATSA article makes, I am a proponent of
notification.  I am a proponent of restrictions on where offenders may
live.  I am NOT defending how Mr Wilson's handled the matter,  I'm
simply pointing out that there is evidence (in the very article YOU,
Mr Herodotus, quote from, and called to, MY attention) to suggest his
position was not unreasonable:

"There is no evidence that community notification reduces sex offense
recidivism or increases community safety"

"63% of the new sex offenses occurred in the jurisdiction where
notification took place, suggesting that notification did not deter
offenders or motivate them to venture outside their jurisdictions
(where they would be less likely identified) to commit crimes.    . .
. community notification appeared to have little effect on sex offense
recidivism."

"Notification may, ironically, interfere with its stated goal of
enhancing public safety by exacerbating the stressors  . . . that my
trigger some sex offenders to relapse."

"There is no research to support the idea that residence restrictions
prevent repeat sex crimes."

"In Minnesota, sex offenders' proximity to schools or parks was not a
factor in recidivism, nor did it impact community safety.  In fact the
opposite was found to be true".

Again, I find these statements hard to believe, and I do NOT subscribe
to these ideas.  Yet someone is going to scan this post and again
accuse me of siding with (or even BEING) Doug Wilson, Steven Sitler,
Christ Church, Bill Thompson, the anti-Christ, and the list goes on.
Ah well, the messenger always gets shot.

Mr Herodotus states "Second, I asked, "Can you please share with us
the average number of children that repeat offenders violate before
their discovery?" However, you answered a question that that nobody
asked."

Well I did answer it - I gave you some concrete  examples of specific
repeat violators and the numbers were from 1 to 125.   I'm sorry if
you didn't like the answer.  But again my point is there is no one
number for me.

You go on to state "So once again, I refer you to the correct answer
as cited from the aforementioned blog:   "It is also important to
recognize that official recidivism statistics are  always lower than
actual re-offense rates, because some sex offenders commit  many sex
crimes that go unreported and undetected. . . . Offenders who seek out
children to victimize by placing themselves in positions of trust,
authority, and easy access to youngsters can have hundreds of victims
over  the course of their lifetimes."

So the answer is "some can have hundreds of victims"??  Well I think I
agreed with that in my original repsonse.  Some very well may have
hundreds of victims - others very well may not.

Thirdly, Mr Herodotus you asked, "Can you please describe for us a
worst-case scenario for the children of Moscow (number of victims, age
of victims, types of abuse, etc.), if Mr. Sitler resumes his pattern
of serial predation?"

Well yes I felt there was some sarcasm there since how can I, you, or
anyone POSSIBLY know the number and age of potential victims, type of
abuse, etc.  I tried to make this point even more succinct by pointing
out that not even a serial pedophile can tell you the number and age
of potential future victims.

Not to be nit-picky but hey . . .  "Mr. Sitler will re-offend, and
when he does . . ."

Let me refer you to the ATSA article you have cited:

". . .we cannot predict with certainty that any particular offender
will act in a specific way . . ."

I guess you seem to find it reasonable to depart from your own sources
when it suits you eh?

But to address the specific issue to which that snippet refers, Mr
Sitler (and all sex offenders in treatment programs in our area)
undergo risk assessment - what is the likelihood that a sex offender
will commit a new sex crime in the future.  "Risk assessment allows us
to identify the most dangerous sex offenders, and apply the most
intensive interventions to those who need the greatest level of
supervision, treatment, and restriction."  How effective is the
treatment program and risk assessment evaluation available in our
area?  I don't know.  I would suggest you call the treatment center
and/or probation and parole and ask specific questions - let them know
you are a concerned citizen.  Talk to the politicians representing
you.  This bantering back and forth on this site I fear does nothing
to help.

You seem to have answered your 3rd question as best as I or anyone could:

"no one will ever know how many innocents he will have raped nor how
many times he will have raped them . . ."

Which is pretty much what I said - no one can give you a definite
answer.   I can only say that, again citing the ATSA article you
provided, "the vast majority of sexually abused children (80-90%) are
molested by family members and close friends or acquaintances"  which
I think was proven out in Mr Sitler's case.  So, to try to reduce
potential future abuse from Mr Sitler, if you are a family member,
close friend or acquaintance of him, keep your children away from him.
 And make sure your friends, family, and acquaintances know who he is
and why he is so dangerous.

Schwaller