[Vision2020] (no subject)

Saundra Lund sslund at roadrunner.com
Tue May 29 15:40:04 PDT 2007

Visionaries:

This is my third post for the day, and I'll stop after this.

In light of Jason Kenneth Hamilton's deadly rampage, I'd like to remind
folks of the connection between animal cruelty and domestic violence.

Of course, Hamilton's disgusting killing of a puppy in Oklahoma (my birth
state) wasn't in Idaho, but it wouldn't matter if it had been because as a
state, Idaho continues to hide its head in the sand about animal cruelty,
and I don't know that we've made a whole lot of progress with domestic
violence, either  :-(

For those interested in learning more about the connection between animal
cruelty and domestic violence so that we can start adequately addressing
both issues individually and together, check out the HSUS's First Strike
Campaign:
http://www.hsus.org/hsus_field/first_strike_the_connection_between_animal_cr
uelty_and_human_violence/
OR
http://tinyurl.com/6x8b4

Another resource:
http://www.aldf.org/resources/details.php?id=94
“Sometimes it helps them understand how important it is to vigorously pursue
these cases,” says Pamela Frasch, vice president of legal affairs. “When
someone is prosecuted for animal abuse, it sends a signal to other potential
abusers in the community. It says violent behavior won’t be tolerated. And
it also puts a mark on the abuser’s permanent record so in the future law
enforcement officials know this is somebody who has these dangerous
tendencies.”

http://www.aardvarc.org/dv/pets.shtml
http://www.vachss.com/guest_dispatches/ascione_1.html
"Our survey of 50 shelter programs yielded responses from 48, representing a
96% response rate. One program did not respond despite repeated phone calls
and one declined participation due to time constraints.

We asked shelters to indicate the number of women who stayed in their
facility at least one night during the period November 1, 1995 to May 1,
1996. Estimates were provided by 87.5% of the shelters with 12.5% either
unable to provide an estimate or leaving this item blank. For the 42
shelters completing this item, the number of women staying overnight during
the six-month period ranged from 34 to 600 with a mean of 186.

One of the questions we asked (see Table I for a summary of results) was,
"Do women who come into your shelter talk about incidents of pet abuse?" An
affirmative response was given by 85.4% of the shelters. In response to the
question, "Do children who come in to your shelter talk about incidents of
pet abuse?" 63% of the 46 shelters that completed this item said "Yes." . .
.

Concern for pet welfare may actually delay women's seeking shelter and this
is an obstacle that could be removed. Domestic violence victim advocates who
arrive at a scene after police have "secured" the location should also be
trained to ask about pet welfare to assist women in their decision about
remaining at home or seeking shelter. Information about a batterer's history
of animal abuse could also be considered in requesting protective orders."

Those stats should be enough to make us *all* weep  :-(((

There's lots of information out there for those inclined to Google to learn
more, but I'd also like to remind folks of a very intriguing post Bruce
Livingston made last November:
http://mailman.fsr.com/pipermail/vision2020/2006-November/037955.html

Please, folks, let's get really serious -- and force the judicial system
locally, statewide, and nationally to get serious -- about NOT TOLERATING
VIOLENCE, whether the victim is an animal or a human  :-(((  Domestic
violence and animal cruelty hurt us all even when we aren't the direct
victims.  Period.

Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
- Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2006 through life plus
70 years, Saundra Lund.  Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside
author.*****