[Vision2020] Adult Misdemeanor Probation

Saundra Lund sslund at roadrunner.com
Tue May 29 14:03:24 PDT 2007

Visionaries:

My gratitude to Rose Huskey (http://www.cleaning-house.org/) for giving
permission to post her latest phenomenal blog entry and letter to our Board
of County Commissioners about adult misdemeanor probation here on the Viz -
see below my sig.

This is an effort I *wholeheartedly* support - it seems absolutely ludicrous
to me to sentence adults to probation that has no real oversight.  IMHO, the
whole notion of "on your honor" probation is an oxymoron, particularly for
repeat offenders like Jason Kenneth Hamilton.

Saundra Lund

Moscow, ID

http://cleaning-house.org/?p=569

Adult Misdemeanor Probation

I have sent the following email to our County Commissioners in the hope that
a county-wide dialogue will begin in the very near future.

May 29, 2007

Dear Commissioners Barrett, Nelson, and Stroschein,

The heartbreaking consequences of Jason Hamilton rampage leave many Latah
County residents wondering what might have prevented such tragic events. We
cannot undo the mistakes which, arguably, occurred in the post-conviction(s)
supervision of Mr. Hamilton. We can however, act decisively to honor the
memory of his victims in a meaningful way.

Currently, twenty-three of Idaho's forty-six counties have Adult Misdemeanor
Probation Departments. Of the ten counties with populations between twenty
and fifty thousand residents, eight (Bingham, Blaine, Bonner, Cassia,
Elmore, Jefferson, Madison, and Nez Perce) have initiated programs to
monitor selected adult misdemeanor offenders. Only two, Latah and Payette
County, have chosen not to do so.

Latah County appears to use a reactive rather than a proactive approach to
misdemeanor offenses. There is simply no realistic way for a sitting judge
to proactively monitor all aspects of the conditions he mandates.
Consequently, county residents are vulnerable to a process which relies
primarily on the promises of a convicted offender to abide by probation
conditions.

Many counties have had Adult Misdemeanor Probation programs in place for
several years. Nez Perce County, for example, operates under the following
guidelines.

The Adult Misdemeanor Probation was established as a department of Nez Perce
County Court Services in 1998. The purpose is to address selected defendants
who are guilty of misdemeanor offenses by supervising their compliance to
the terms of probation, and to hold offenders accountable in some meaningful
way. Probationers are offered the opportunity to remain in the community
while addressing their needs and paying back the community in any number of
ways. Offenses typical to misdemeanor probation include:

*	Driving Under the Influence
*	Domestic Violence, Stalking, Violation of Protection Orders
*	Petit Theft
*	Battery
*	Misdemeanor possession of controlled substance and paraphernalia
*	Minor in possession of alcohol
*	Driving Without Privileges
*	Various felonies amended to misdemeanors

Through collaboration with various community and social service agencies and
partners, and with various treatment and counseling services, the department
hopes to provide appropriate intervention to offenders to enhance their
competencies and reduce future re-offending. Referrals may include any of
the following:

*	Appropriate evaluations
*	Substance abuse treatment
*	Domestic violence treatment
*	Mental health services
*	Counseling
*	Anger Management
*	Cognitive restructuring program
*	Educational/ vocational opportunities
*	Parenting programs
*	Job Searches
*	Sexual offender treatment."

I urge you to immediately appoint a task force to develop a plan to
implement an Adult Misdemeanor Probation Department in Latah County. An
effective, knowledgeable task force would include a representative from the
Prosecutor's Office, the Latah County Sheriff's Department, Moscow Police
Department, and a Public Defender. The smaller the group the more
efficiently and rapidly it could address the issues and report back to you.
It is, of course, your responsibility to implement, or reject, the findings
and recommendations of the group in a timely manner.

Heartfelt condolences at memorial services become little more than socially
required platitudes if no action is taken to rectify the current,
unacceptable status quo. Please place this issue on your agenda for public
discussion.

Rose Huskey