[Vision2020] Abortion Reform or holocaust

Joe Campbell joekc at adelphia.net
Tue May 22 14:48:49 PDT 2007

Mr. Schwaller,

I find it interesting that, in response to Nick's post, you first claim that arguments are useless when it comes to changing one's beliefs and then proceed to offer some arguments of your own! What was your purpose if not to try to change someone’s belief?

I want to know what you feel about abortion and the law -- not the moral issue of abortion but the legal issue. I agree with you about the moral issue but we seem to be in some disagreement about the legal issue.

For instance, I don't see how I can forbid a rape victim from having an abortion simply because I think that abortion is immoral. I don't see how my belief should restrict her action in any way. Thus, I'm against laws restricting abortion (at least until viability) though I might agree with you that abortion is immoral (though I wouldn’t put it that way).

Here is an analogy. Some people think that your posts on Sitler were immoral. Some have expressed on Vision 2020 that you should not have said the things that you said and clearly the presumption was that they would never have written those things. Yet that is no basis for imposing legal restrictions on your posts. Clearly you didn't think that the posts were immoral and it seems that the fact that others disagree is and should be irrelevant to whether or not you should have posted them.

Of course, if the other people are right, then you shouldn't have posted your comments about Sitler -- morally speaking. But it doesn't follow from even this that we should have a law restricting such posts.

Lastly, the fact that most pregnancies are not the result of rape is entirely beside the point in either the legal or moral debate. Most killings are not instances of self-defense but it would be absurd to argue on this basis alone that killing in self-defense is immoral or that it should be illegal. I’m impressed that you know so many facts about abortion in America but the numbers and statistics are irrelevant to the moral and legal issues.

--

Joe Campbell