[Vision2020] shooter identity . . . And what he was shooting

Dan Carscallen areaman at moscow.com
Mon May 21 12:11:42 PDT 2007

Vizzz peeps,

After watching the press conference, some of the events of Saturday
night/Sunday morning have become more clear.

With the initial reports of the shooter using an SKS in the incident, I
was a little confused and concerned as to how it was done, as the
7.62x39mm cartridge used in that rifle did not seem powerful enough to
have done some of the damage that was said to be inflicted.  Now, after
hearing that the shooter also had an M1A, which is a .308 caliber (a
popular hunting caliber), I can understand a little better since this is
a significantly more powerful round than the 7.62X39 by almost 1/3.
This would also explain a bit more the difference in sound between the
shots fired earlier and those fired later.

Of course, neither of these calibers could be stopped by a "bulletproof"
vest.

I'm sure Tom Hansen can speak to this, as he's probably had some
experience with the M14 (the military version of the M1A) and maybe even
some time with an AK47 during his time in Germany.

DC