[Vision2020] Immigration Breakthrough Could Pave Way for Citizenship

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Fri May 18 07:51:35 PDT 2007

Please, Lord, let it happen soon.keely> From: thansen at moscow.com> To: vision2020 at moscow.com> Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 07:05:32 -0700> Subject: [Vision2020] Immigration Breakthrough Could Pave Way for Citizenship> > >From CNN.com -> > ----------------------------------------------------------------> > Immigration breakthrough could pave way for citizenship> > WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The estimated 12 million undocumented immigrants living> in the United States could be put on the path to citizenship under a new> immigration bill agreed upon Thursday by a bipartisan group of senators.> > "The agreement we just reached is the best possible chance we will have to> secure our borders, bring millions of people out of the shadows and into the> sunshine of America," Democratic Sen. Edward Kennedy of Massachusetts said. > > President Bush expressed gratitude to the senators for their work. (Watch> the balancing act politicians face from population changes and a backlash )> > "I really am anxious to sign a comprehensive immigration bill as soon as I> possibly can," he told reporters outside the White House. "Today, we took a> good step toward this direction."> > The bill is going to the Senate next week and if it passes, will then> proceed to the House.> > House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has told the White House that she's not going to> bring the issue to the floor unless the president can deliver at least 70> votes.> > But Republican Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, said the bill is not a done deal.> > He said he has "concerns with the principles outlined in today's> announcement." > > "I believe today's announcement is somewhat premature because specific> legislative text has yet to be drafted on a number of key details," Cornyn> said in a statement. "Until I have the opportunity to review this text, I> will withhold from making more detailed comments." > > The 380-page bill, which comes after nearly three months of negotiations,> would give immediate work authorization to undocumented workers who arrived> in the United States before January 1, 2007.> > Heads of household would have to return to their home country within eight> years, and they would be guaranteed the right to return.> > Applicants would also have to pay a $5,000 penalty.> > Additionally, the number of Border Patrol agents would be doubled, border> fencing would be strengthened and employers who hire undocumented workers> would face fines. > > The process of enforcing those provisions would take about 18 months,> according to Department of Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff.> > After the provisions are in place, a guest-worker program would be> initiated, under which 400,000 temporary workers per year would be granted a> "Y" visa. > > The two-year visas would require they return home for a year, then allow> them to re-enter for an additional two-years. The process could be repeated> twice more.> > Each year, they would be able to bring their families on 30-day visitor> visas, and each year, they would earn points toward a merit-based green> card.> > Specter: This is not amnesty> > "It is not amnesty," said Republican Sen. Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania.> "This will restore the rule of law."> > Republican Sen. John McCain of Arizona called the bill "a first step, but an> important first step, to moving forward with comprehensive overall> immigration reform."> > "I'm sure that there are certain provisions that each of us would not agree> with, but this is what the legislative process is all about," said> Republican Sen. Johnny Isakson of Georgia. (Watch senators explain how the> bill works )> > Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California, acknowledged that not> everyone will be pleased with the bill's treatment of the immigration issue.> > "To the American people, I would say, 'Don't let the perfect be the enemy of> the good,' " she said.> > She said the bill would ensure that border security is strong and that> farmers -- who depend largely on an undocumented work force -- will be able> to find workers.> > "From my perspective, it's not perfect, but it represents the best> opportunity that we have, in a bipartisan way, to do something about this> problem," said Republican Sen. Jon Kyl of Arizona.> > Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, said the bill started out> being about how to deal with illegal immigration "and wound up being about> what it means to be an American ... I think we've got a deal that reflects> who we are as Americans."> > He added, "From the Ph.D. to the landscaper, there's a chance for you to> participate in the American dream on our terms in a way that makes this> country better."> > Graham predicted the bill would find "overwhelming" support among lawmakers.> > Debate on the bill is slated to get under way in the Senate on Monday, and> Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi said she wants passage of a bill before> August. > > Bush: Immigration a tough issue for a lot of Americans> > Bush described immigration as "a tough issue for a lot of Americans," but> added, "The agreement reached today is one that will help enforce our> borders but, equally importantly, it will treat people with respect. > > "This is a bill where people who live here in our country will be treated> without amnesty but without animosity." (Watch Bush praise bipartisanship of> senators) > > That view was challenged by Republican Rep. Brian Bilbray of California,> chairman of the Immigration Reform Caucus.> > "The 'compromise' announced today by Sen. Kennedy will reward 12 million> illegal immigrants with a path to citizenship -- what part of illegal does> the Senate not understand?" he said in a written statement.> > "Any plan that rewards illegal behavior is amnesty."> > The American Immigration Lawyers Association decried the proposal as> "large-scale social experimentation," singling out the "guest worker"> program as one that would preclude a path to permanent residence for new> temporary workers.> > "A practical solution for the undocumented population is an enormously> important step in the right direction," the association said in a written> statement. "But the cost of fixing our current problems cannot be the> creation of bigger problems in the future."> > But Chertoff told CNN that the bill would help him better focus his> resources.> > "Right now, I've got my Border Patrol agents and my immigration agents> chasing maids and landscapers. I want them to focus on drug dealers and> terrorists. It seems to me, if I can get the maids and landscapers into a> regulated system and focus my law enforcement on the terrorists and the drug> dealers, that's how I get a safe border."> > ----------------------------------------------------------------> > Seeya rouind town, Moscow.> > Tom Hansen> Moscow, Idaho> > "Uh, how about a 1-strike law. Death doesn't seem too extreme for a Level-3> sex offender."> > - Dale "Comb-Over" Courtney (August 3, 2005)> > > > > =======================================================>  List services made available by First Step Internet, >  serving the communities of the Palouse since 1994.   >                http://www.fsr.net                       >           mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com> =======================================================