[Vision2020] Andreas's Arguments

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Fri May 11 18:48:36 PDT 2007

Andreas,

  I agree with you that the state should mostly fund education. However, I disagree with you on the federal and local funding issues.

  When a state takes federal funding it becomes dependent on it, and is then required to follow its incompetent unfunded mandated plans like "No Child Left Behind."

  On the local level, I think that people in a community have every right to give their own money to education.

  I would agree with a formula though on how state funding is allocated based on wealth of the community. I disagree with federal matching because that magnifies and intensifies the differences in the poorer and richer districts. You are going to give a million dollars to a rich neighborhood, but only 200,000 to a poor one because that is all it could raise? I think federal funding should be used to equalize the poorer public school systems.

I also think a better way to go is to incorporate school vouchers, or refund a portion of the cost of educating a child to a private institution. This would increase funding for public school on a per child basis, leaving more money for those that are poorer of disadvantaged.

  Best,

  Donovan

Andreas Schou <ophite at gmail.com> wrote:
  G --

Farankly, this entire mess could be avoided by funding education
straight from the state coffers, with a federal match, with funding
determined on a per-student basis, rather than a "how rich the parents
are" basis. Until that's done, equality of educational opportunity in
this country will be simply laughable.

-- ACS

On 5/11/07, g. crabtree wrote:

> Tom, your argument with regard to the president works wonderfully to
> illustrate the patent unfairness of the MSD's supplemental levy scheme for
> obtaining additional funds. Every four years you get an opportunity to elect
> yourself a new national leader. Even if you fail, the scoundrel is out in
> eight years no matter what. With the levy, once its in its in forever.
> Perfectly reasonable people who, for reasons of their own, are not in favor
> of the tax increase must be constantly voting to keep the increases at bay.
> Those in favor must only get lucky once and the rest of the community is put
> upon into perpetuity. Plus, if the levy fails the district simply wears down
> the voters by marginally reducing the amount they ask for and coming back
> again and again until they finally succeed. Once they establish the new,
> albeit slightly lower bonus they simply come back with their hand out a
> little sooner then they might have had the original levy passed and start
> the whole nightmare over again. To establish a modicum of fairness in this
> process the levy's should:
>
> A. Sunset after a given number of years. (If Moscow's economy were to
> seriously tank, property values plummet and school district enrolment
> numbers shrink drastically, do you really think we should be bound by levy's
> from the distant past?)
>
> B. Require at least a 60% or greater voter approval. (I'd prefer 75%)
>
> C. Be put to a single vote at regularly scheduled elections (to avoid voter
> fatigue and cherry picking election dates)

List services made available by First Step Internet,
mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com