[Vision2020] Summer reading recommendations

Ken kmmos at moscow.com
Tue May 8 09:41:34 PDT 2007

On Tuesday 08 May 2007 08:40, Carl Westberg wrote:
> Just want to strongly recommend two books by Spokane author Jess Walter
> for your summer reading.  "Citizen Vince", a great novel that takes place
> in Spokane (and New York) during the presidential election season of
> 1980, and "The Zero", which I'm about halfway through now, about the
> immediate aftermath of 9/11 in New York.  This guy is good.    Carl
> Westberg Jr.

Thanks for the recommendation and the reminder. Jess Walter is the writer
who got his start writing about Randy Weaver and the Ruby Ridge events a
dozen years ago.

Mentioning Spokane authors, I notice that Patrick F. McManus has published
his second Sheriff Bo Tully mystery story. This one is titled Avalanche,
and follows the first, The Blight Way. I haven't read these yet, but
Avalanche is on the table here, next in line.

I may have to start a summer reading calendar to schedule what gets read
when. It's certainly no secret that I and 12 million or more readers will
be spending the last days of July, at least, and probably a good part of
August, reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. We might as well
declare the time between the last week of July and when school starts The
Harry Potter Reading Vacation.

The book I am reading now is concise and interesting nonfiction. How Linux
Works: What Every Superuser Should Know, by Brian Ward, is a technical
survey of how Linux internals work -- how bootup happens, how networking
works, how to customize the kernel, and some stuff about shell scripts and
the Linux printing system. Only 350 pages, and quite readable for a tech
tome.

Ken Marcy