[Vision2020] yes, Weitz is suing Moscow School District

Sue Hovey suehovey at moscow.com
Fri May 4 22:19:44 PDT 2007

Points to ponder:

1.  If Jerry Weitz believes he is acting in the interests of Moscow's
children, why did he wait until his own children granduated before he came
forth with the suit that covers the years they were in school, only after
they graduated?

2.  If Jerry Weitz believes the levies were conducted illegally from 1992
until 2007 why did he and Jim Demeerleer deliver a written threat to the
school district stating that the district had until Tuesday to rescind the
levy of 2007, and if the district did, they would not file a suit covering
past levies?  If Jerry is really concerned about the legality of the levies,
why try to blackmail the district by saying he would ignore issues which he
contends were illegal?

3.  During the time Jerry Weitz was on the school board, why did he not
publically broach his concerns about the procedure that came before him as a
board member for 3 of those years in question?

4.  I have always known Jerry to be a man who wants his way and if he gets
it he can be magnanamous, articulate, and pleasant to work with.   In the
past, when his wishes didn't prevail he would resign from the school board
and wait for those of us who appreciated him to urge him to stay on.  And he
would stay until the next time he was crossed.  To say he has done much for
the school district, is certainly true; but those energies were given with
the assurance from the district that everyone understood, "he who pays the
piper, calls the tune."

5.  To give him his due, Jerry has long been a supporter of vocational
education and has done much to support those programs.  Why then would he
pursue a course of action which could undermine the vocational programs he
supported?  Cutbacks in budgets fall first on those areas not covered by
state and federal mandates and the ISAT (the mandated Idaho achievement
tests.)

6.   How does one continue to believe Jerry Weitz is committing this act in
the interests of Moscow's children?  He must be assuming he will be
successful in his suit, the outcome of which could mean Moscow School
District would be stripped of the monies from levies of the past 15 years.
One does not have to have a very vivid understanding of school finance to
picture the devastating effect on our students.

7.  I do not know the scope of Jim Demeerler's activity in all this mess,
but historically he has been anti-tax no matter what the issue.  No doubt he
sees it as an opportunity to get a refund--also after his own children
matriculated through the school system during those years.

8.  The State of Idaho provides funding for a basic education and little
more. The patrons who live within the district have consistently voted to
tax themselves to provide more than that--smaller class sizes, programs that
serve all students, highly qualified teachers, quite a number of them
enthusiastic and fairly new to the district and whose next year's teaching
job is now in jeopardy.  They have already been told they may not be
re-employed.  Will they be willing to stick around here to wait till this is
settled?  Would you?  A number of master teachers are retiring this
year--six in the Junior High.  Who knows when or even if they will be
replaced.  Because of this suit the district has imposed a hiring freeze.

One man seeks to destroy what the citizens in MSD have built.  He plans not
to lose this suit, but he has already lost.  He has lost the respect of
those of us who, even though we often disagreed with him, would not until
now have believed protecting his ego was more important to him than the
welfare of our kids.

Sue Hovey
Frustrated and Ashamed to Admit I Supported Him and OnceWorked Diligently to
Get Him Elected to the School Board.......