[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter from UI President Tim White (May 4, 2007)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri May 4 05:48:32 PDT 2007

Copied and pasted below is the UI Friday Letter from UI President Tim White
for May 4, 2007.

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends May 4, 2007

Dear Friends,

This week, we celebrated the retirement of the final bank note on the J.A.
Albertson Building on the Moscow campus, home to the College of Business and
Economics since 2002. The State Board of Education approved transfer of
ownership of the building from the University of Idaho Foundation to the
University. It's ours, free and clear.

The beautiful, state-of-the-art Albertson Building is a wonderful success
story, and a true point of distinction for our university. It was funded
entirely by private donations - the only academic facility in the state to
be so funded. The generosity of our donors brought $15.6 million to this
project. I want to express my gratitude to the University of Idaho
Foundation, and to every person who helped make this remarkable learning
environment a reality. You are the driving force for the opportunities we
provide to students, faculty, staff and the people of Idaho.

The University also held commencement ceremonies this week in Coeur d'Alene
on Wednesday and Idaho Falls on Thursday. State Board of Education member
Sue Thilo was the commencement speaker at Coeur d'Alene, and we presented
the President's Medallion to actress, author and mental health advocate Anna
Patty Duke Pearce. Our Idaho Falls ceremony featured Idaho National
Laboratory Director Harold Blackman as speaker, and a President's Medallion
was presented to Idaho Falls businessman William T. Holden '58, a longtime
University volunteer and leader.

We will continue our commencement ceremonies next week at Boise on Monday,
May 7 and at Moscow on Saturday, May 12.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

A team of eight students from the College of Art and Architecture has been
selected to exhibit at the International Contemporary Furniture Fair (ICFF)
at New York City's Jacob K. Javits Center May 19-22. A jury of editors from
leading design journals hand-selected only six design schools from around
the globe to participate in the exhibition. The Idaho exhibit will center on
sustainability and conservation. Students hope to make an international
impact with a low embodied energy design that takes into account the
quantity of energy a product, material or service requires from
manufacturing to the point of use.

A memorial celebration to honor Professor Emeritus of Music William
Billingsley is Saturday, May 5 at 3 p.m. in the Lionel Hampton School of
Music Recital Hall. Billingsley passed away earlier this year. Former
students and colleagues will perform music composed by Billingsley at the
celebration. Memorials may be made, in care of the Lionel Hampton School of
Music, to the University of Idaho Foundation, Gift Administration Office,
P.O. Box 443147, Moscow, ID, 83844-3147.

Dr. James '58 and Mary Ann Asaph of Portland, Ore., recently made a $20,000
gift to the University of Idaho. The College of Science received $10,000 in
honor of Dean Judith Totman Parrish and $10,000 was designated for the
Department of History in memory of two of James' aunts, Lodia McGrath
Richardson '36 and Bertha McGrath Johnson-Lough '41. "Being born and raised
in a small town in then isolated southeastern Alaska, going to the
University of Idaho was truly an eye-opening experience, for it exposed me
to such a broader world," said James. "I planned to major in engineering,
but wanting more humanities, I took some elective history courses. The
talented and caring faculty in the science and history departments
encouraged me to combine science and humanities, thus directing me towards a
most fulfilling and successful career as a surgeon, for which I am most
grateful."  For more information about giving to the College of Science,
contact Eric Bennett at ebennett at uidaho.edu or (208) 885-9106.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Take care, Vandals.

UI '96

Came a tribe from the north brave and bold . . .

"Here We Have Idaho"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/HWHI.mp3

"I-D-A-H-O Idaho Idaho Go Go Go"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/Vandals.mp3