[Vision2020] Ga$oline Price$

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Thu May 3 19:38:27 PDT 2007

All-

First, though this will be a very unpopular view, I think gas is too cheap,
even at $3.20 a gallon.  It should be over 5 dollars a gallon, in my
opinion, to force conservation and changes in technology to address both
global warming and the eventual depletion of fossil fuels, both massive
problems that are not being addressed substantively.

But back to why the USA needs to control Middle East oil supplies, my post
forwarded below does not really make the case...

If all oil currently used by the USA was sourced from Canada, the USA would
still have overwhelming reasons to use force to secure Middle East oil:

The world market for oil sets the price, and Canadian oil would become much
more expensive if turmoil in the Middle East created doubt about or a
reduction in that oil supply, which is to some extent happening now given
the mess in Iraq.

US allies that are integrated into the global economy, and thus the economy
of the USA, rely on Middle East oil supplies, so a disruption in these
supplies can damage the US economy, even if the US does not directly rely on
this source for oil.

The vast oil resources of the Middle East might come under the control of
unfriendly regimes, as has already happened with Iran.  The first Gulf War
against Iraq was fought in part to protect US ally Saudi Arabia's vast oil
resources from being threatened by Iraq.  The fact that the Saudi royal
family rules as a human rights denying dictatorship appears to receive scant
focus in US media political propaganda, as long as the cozy economic
relationship between the US and the Saudi royal family continues,
exemplified by Saudi Prince Bandar "Bush" and the close to a trillion
dollars that Saudis have invested in the US economy

I wonder, given that the barbarity of the beheadings carried out in Iraq
during the Iraq war have received a lot of media attention, why do we almost
never hear in the US media of the beheadings in Saudi Arabia carried out
under the brutal reign of the Saudi royal family, with their well known use
of torture and denial of basic rights, their treatment of women as second
class citizens?

Anyway, if Middle East oil supplies were controlled mostly by Islamic
regimes unfriendly to the West, this could create massive problems if this
resource were used as an economic weapon against Western economies.  This
alone is a sufficient reason for the policeman of the world, the USA, to use
its military force to ensure that the oil supplies in the Middle East flow
to the West, and also Japan, China and India, nations now becoming more and
more integrated into the global economy with US dependence on this
multinational system.

Who now holds most of the US government debt?  Japan and China.

Of course it goes without saying that part of the reason gas prices are
overall so much higher now than just a few years ago is pressure on the
global oil markets from increasing consumption of oil in the developing
world, especially China and India.  Not to forget, despite the claims from
Exxon/Mobil's CEO that they are not gouging the public at the pump, I just
can't buy that when Exxon/Mobil has a quarterly profit greater than any
corporation in the history of the world, as recently happened, that this
occurred with no connection to "gouging" at the pump.

A free market lassie faire advocate might reply: If the public quit buying
so much gas, the price would go down...Basic market economics 100, yes?

Though I think the Bush Presidency is a disaster, President Bush made one
statement that I give him credit for getting right:  We are addicted to
oil.  And like an addict, it appears the public will pay through the nose to
keep their addiction going, even when they think they are being "gouged."

If everyone dramatically reduced their consumption of gas, the price
probably would go down...At least for a short time.

Ted Moffett