[Vision2020] Correct Rent for my House

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Tue May 1 13:53:18 PDT 2007

Dear Donovan,

You are not remembering my rent figures very well.  Families who have
rented my 3-bedroom upstairs have found the $750 rent very
reasonable, and students who have 3 bedrooms and 2 baths downstairs
for $600 believe that they have died and gone to heaven.

By the way, the upstairs will be available for Fall semester and the
downstairs will be available July 1.  Please spread the word and give
anyone interested my e-mail address.

Nick Gier

At 09:33 AM 5/1/2007, you wrote:
>Nick,
>
>I didn't attack your house. I was disagreeing with you charging
>$1500 to rent a house in Moscow. In order for that to be considered
>affordable housing a family would have to make $4,500 a month in net
>income. Those types of jobs are just not available in Moscow. Nor
>does a person get that much money in students loans, grants and scholarships.
>
>What you seem to not comprehend is that when you make rent prices so
>outrageous you make life very difficult, if not impossible for
>couples with children that would like to get out of poverty by
>getting a degree at UI.
>
>Sure, $1500 is affordable for 5 or 6 college students. But single
>families have to pay that same market rate. This was my biggest
>challenge as a student body senator, was trying to find adequate low
>income housing for single families. It doesn't exist. The UI family
>housing is full, and the buildings are falling apart, not entirely
>safe, and have mold and health issues.
>
>That was my point, and why I am angry about the situation. It is
>completely unfair.
>
>Best,
>
>Donovan
>
>Nick Gier <ngier at uidaho.edu> wrote:
>Good Morning Visionaries:
>
>I'm just as fed with Donovan's tirades as anyone on this list.  (My
>favorite attack was the one on my house.  I can defend myself, but
>house cannot.)  Objecting to his insults and bad manners is one
>thing, but diagnosing his mental state complete with labels is
>another thing, even if he has given his own diagnosis.
>
>I would very much like this thread to cease immediately.
>
>Nick Gier

"Truth is the summit of being; justice is the application of it to
human affairs."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Abstract truth has no value unless it incarnates in human beings who
represent it, by proving their readiness to die for it."
  --Mohandas Gandhi

"Modern physics has taught us that the nature of any system cannot be
discovered by dividing it into its component parts and studying each
part by itself. . . .We must keep our attention fixed on the whole
and on the interconnection between the parts. The same is true of our
intellectual life. It is impossible to make a clear cut between
science, religion, and art. The whole is never equal simply to the
sum of its various parts." --Max Planck

Nicholas F. Gier
Professor Emeritus, Department of Philosophy, University of Idaho
1037 Colt Rd., Moscow, ID 83843
http://users.adelphia.net/~nickgier/home.htm
208-882-9212/FAX 885-8950
President, Idaho Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO
http://users.adelphia.net/~nickgier/ift.htm