[Vision2020] Former aide disputes Gonzales' claim of non-involvement in attorney firings

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Thu Mar 29 14:51:38 PDT 2007

CNN Breaking:

Former aide disputes Gonzales' claim of non-involvement in attorney firings
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The man who resigned this month as chief of staff to Attorney General Alberto Gonzales on Thursday disputed comments by his former boss who has said he wasn't involved in the process of dismissing eight U.S. attorneys.

Kyle Sampson told the Senate Judiciary Committee that he and Gonzales began talking about the firings in early 2005.

"He and I had discussions about it during the thinking phase of the process. Then after the sort of more final phase of the process in the fall of 2006 began, we discussed it," Sampson testified.

In an NBC interview on Monday, Gonzales said, "When I said on March 13 that I wasn't involved, what I meant was that I -- I had not been involved, was not involved in the deliberations over whether or not United States attorneys should resign." (Posted 4:27 p.m.)