[Vision2020] Amazonian Deforestation and Global Warming:Was:Ed the Viking, Greenland, and Global Warming

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 14:16:41 PDT 2007

Nick et. al.

I'm not sure you should defer to my research on methane and other global
warming impacts of livestock, given the complexity and room for error on
such a difficult subject.  But this interesting analysis that can be read in
pdf form at the web link below, that in part examines cattle raising impacts
on the Amazon rain forest, might shed light on this issue.

I cannot vouch for the correctness of the data and conclusions from this
study presented in 1996, especially given the rapid rate of change in that
area of the world, indeed, all over our planet.  However, this paper reveals
the daunting complexity of environmental studies, while demonstrating the
exacting and sobering work that constitutes the day to day efforts of most
scientists, who usually don't have the inclination to politicise their work,
despite the claims of many that the hundreds of scientists gathering data on
global warming have an agenda to slant their conclusions towards alarmism on
human induced global warming.

Given that scientists sometimes face political, career, or economic
pressures to slant their work, defending the independence of the community
of scientists to present their findings without these pressures biasing
their efforts, is fundamental if the public is to be accurately informed of
major scientific developments that can significantly impact the world at
large, such as climate change from human activity.

Recently on C-SPAN testimony of NASA climate scientist James Hansen before
the US Congress was presented.  He mentioned that he thought the censorship
of his scientific conclusions regarding human impacts on global warming, by
the Bush administration, was akin to the censorship of science in the former
Soviet Union.

http://philip.inpa.gov.br/publ_livres/Preprints/1996/REPLACE-FEM.pdf

-----
Ted Moffett