[Vision2020] Protest at Archies on the Square

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 21:04:45 PDT 2007

On 3/25/07, Saundra Lund <sslund at roadrunner.com> wrote:

> Ummm . . .  Chas, perhaps I'm wrong (in which case I hope to be corrected),
> but I believe you are incorrectly and offensively using the term "handler."
> Unless there was a service animal present, there was no handler -- a
> differently abled person isn't some wild animal that has to be handled, for
> goodness sake.

You are probably correct, although I actually chose "handler" after a
bit of cogitation. One who manages a politician's campaign is often
referred to as a campaign handler, and I don't think this is perceived
as offensive.  I have encountered several paid companions who referred
to themselves as handlers (and also as "adult babysitters," which
makes me wince hearing it), which is why I selected it instead of some
of the more grammatically awkward alternatives.  I prefer the term
"minder," but that is chiefly British usage, so I didn't think it
would be grasped here.

Again, no derogatory connotation intended; I find raghead
indefensible, and likewise believe that "negro" belongs to a previous
generation.  Still, I will defer to the consensus, if the consensus is
that "handler" is inappropriate when referring to those individuals
whose job it is to manage the affairs of developmentally disabled
humans.