[Vision2020] Protest at Archies on the Square

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 25 20:10:48 PDT 2007

Chasuk,

Thank you for doing this bit of research.  We now have at least two
sides to the story, with one admittedly being only second- or
third-hand.  It also sounds reasonable to me that what you say happened
did happen.  It's easy to believe that someone could possibly not
recognize that someone else was "specially-abled" or
"mentally-challenged" or whatever the current PC term is.  Especially
since we don't know the exact type of disability present.  I can also
understand that someone who is in charge of helping that person (who
should not be referred to as a "handler") would be miffed if he or she
did not know that the proprietor was not aware of that person's disability.

This is a classic case of a misunderstanding fueled by emotion.  One
person thinks the other is insensitive to a person with a disability,
the other is upset at being assumed to be insensitive to that person.
Compound this with a bunch of protesters that may or may not be informed
of the entire event who may or may not have an effect upon this person's
livelihood and you have a recipe for disaster.

My advice to everyone involved, humble as it is, is to just let the
whole thing drop.  It's a misunderstanding, not Good vs. Evil or the
Jedi vs. the Sith.

Paul