[Vision2020] Protest at Archies on the Square

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Mar 25 14:07:09 PDT 2007

Arnold states:

"Why would JeanC mention that the girl was "disabled"? Why was that a
relevant factor in this situation?"

I will respond to that question with a direct quote from Jean C's statement
(again).

"What he heard was a family with a disabled daughter were asked to leave as
HER [my emphasis] presence was bad for business."

Arnold mumbles on:

"Second, why not just a restaurant, rather than the exact name of the
restaurant?"

Probably because this incident occurred at Archie's.

And yet more from Arnold:

"Why not just say 'a family' was asked to leave for protesting in front of a
restaurant."

Because maybe it wasn't the family that was actively involved in the
protest.  Perhaps local citizens were protesting actions taken by the
restaurant against the family.

And finally Arnold caps it all off with:

"Third, rumors start not by asking for clarification, but they start by
people coming on V2020 and gossiping about each other and what others do."

Well then, Arnold.  If that is true, I have but one question:

Is it true that former members of the ASUI Senate that are entering their
eighth, ninth, tenth, and subsequent years as a student at UI, do so simply
because (as sad as reality is) they do not have a life outside of the
classroom (other than stalking local women and posing their dreadful, boring
tales on a local listserve) and are incapable of holding a real job?

It isn't that I wish to start a rumor, Arnold.  I am merely seeking
clarification.

Enough said.

"I think one of the best ways to support education is to make successful
private schools like Logos prosper through tax exemption."

- Donovan Arnold (July 11, 2005)

  _____

Why would JeanC mention that the girl was "disabled"? Why was that a
relevant factor in this situation?

Second, why not just a restaurant, rather than the exact name of the
restaurant?

Why not just say "a family" was asked to leave for protesting in front of a
restaurant.

Third, rumors start not by asking for clarification, but they start by
people coming on V2020 and gossiping about each other and what others do.

Best,

Donovan

Tom Hansen <thansen at moscow.com> wrote:

Ladies and Gentlemen of Vision 2020 -

Arnold's posting below is a prime example of how rumors get started.

Jean C's posting (in its totality):

"Does anyone have info on this morning's protest out side of Archie's on the
Square. A friend stopped by this morning and mentioned it

seeing it and stopping to find out what was going on. What he heard was a
family with a disabled daughter were asked to leave as her

presence was bad for business."

Arnold's initial inquiry is to be appreciated as it seeks facts:

"Are you saying that they were asked to leave because the daughter was
disabled or because the protest was disrupting the owners livelihood?"

However, he closes out his posting with unsubstantiated innuendo and gossip:

"My bet, is that the business owners just didn't want protesters scaring off
the customers, as they do, and some protesters tried to use this girls
disability as a way to hurt the business's reputation with the public
because they didn't get to protest there."

Question, Arnold:  What part of Jean C's statement even implies that "some
protesters tried to use this girls disability as a way to hurt the
business's reputation"?

"A bad cause will ever be supported by bad means and bad men."

- Thomas Paine (English Writer, 1737-1809)

  _____

Are you saying that they were asked to leave because the daughter was
disabled or because the protest was disrupting the owners livelihood?

If I owned a business, like say the Red Door, I wouldn't want people saying
things like that on a large public forum without some substantiation.

JeanC <jeanc38 at gmail.com> wrote:

Does anyone have info on this morning's protest out side of Archie's
on the Square. A friend stopped by this morning and mentioned it
seeing it and stopping to find out what was going on. What he heard
was a family with a disabled daughter were asked to leave as her
presence was bad for business.

Jean C
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can
change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
Margaret Mead
http://www.uidaho.edu/~bjcraw/
JeanC's Cat House & Shooting Society
http://jeancscathouseandshootingsociety.blogspot.com/

List services made available by First Step Internet,
mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com

  _____

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find
<http://us.f381.mail.yahoo.com/ym/%0d%0ahttp:/tools.search.yahoo.com/shortcu
ts/?fr=oni_on_mail&#news>  a flick in no time
with theYahoo!
<http://us.f381.mail.yahoo.com/ym/%0d%0ahttp:/tools.search.yahoo.com/shortcu
ts/?fr=oni_on_mail&#news>  Search movie showtime shortcut.

  _____

Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.