[Vision2020] Grocery tax

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 25 12:53:08 PDT 2007

I consider it absolutely morally reprehensible that the government taxes people on food.

  Most poor people are not on food stamps. Further, many poor people don't file with the complications of tax returns. Giving people rebates on food they may or may not have bought is impractical, food isn't something you can wait until the government gets around to rebating you on.

  There are many people who are mentally incapable of negotiating, filing and returning the necessary government paperwork to get that money back and the costs of hiring someone to do it for them is greater than the refund.

  Second, it doesn't matter if you can afford a tax or not. The government does not have the right to tax people however much it wants on whatever it wants. It is wrong to tax people on the basic necessities of life. Even a person who makes well above the whopping $941 a month to not qualify for food stamps gets down on their income now and then and doesn't need the government pushing them down even further.

  Not all taxes are evil, but some are, and taxing people on food, clothing, shelter, and medical care items is a disgrace to any civilized community.Thankfully, Idaho is on of few states left that still taxes on food and medicine. Maybe someday  our state government will evolve and join the rest of civilization.

  Best,

  Donovan

Chasuk <chasuk at gmail.com> wrote:
  On 3/22/07, lfalen wrote:

> I might rethink my position on the Grocery Tax. Most of us do not need a tax break on food. I support the governors veto. I have supported his plan as marking more sence. Question -how many on the low end receive food stamps? If most of the poor folks receive food stamps why do they need a break on grocery taxes?

In many countries of the world, there is no tax on groceries, as it is
considered immoral to tax necessities. I tend to agree. I'm poor. I
use the food bank semi-regularly. I'm better of than some, but a tax
break on groceries would improve my situation considerably.

List services made available by First Step Internet,
mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com