[Vision2020] Fw: [Spam] DELEGATION NOTES FINAL GRIZZLY DELISTING DECISION

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Thu Mar 22 13:18:54 PDT 2007

-----Original message-----

From: "Crapo News Release \(Crapo\)" newsclips at crapo.senate.gov
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 11:40:47 -0700
Subject: [Spam] DELEGATION NOTES FINAL GRIZZLY DELISTING DECISION

 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT:     Crapo    (202) 224-5150

March 22, 2007
Craig     (202) 224-8078

Simpson (208) 334-1953

Sali         (208) 336-9831

DELEGATION NOTES FINAL GRIZZLY DELISTING DECISION

Federal agency will manage species on federal land, states will manage
on state land

Washington, DC - Idaho's congressional delegation issued the following
statements today regarding the announcement by the U.S. Fish and
Wildlife Service that the final step has been taken in the delisting of
the Yellowstone Grizzly.  The FWS delisting final resolution, which
allows Idaho, Montana and Wyoming to manage the species on their
respective state lands while the federal agency will manage the species
on federal land, will be published on Thursday, March 29, 2007, in the
Federal Register.  The rule will become effective 30 days after
publication.  The congressional delegation has advocated for state
management.

Senator Mike Crapo said, "The delisting of the Yellowstone grizzly
population is welcome news and will have lasting impact on both the
bears and the people that live in the area.  This has been a long
process, which underscores some of the need for improvement, and I would
hope in the future such efforts can be accelerated to the benefit of
both listed species and local and regional economies.  Collaborative
efforts among federal, state, local and private entities are the future
recovery efforts.  I will continue to search for improvements to the
process and look forward to moving the Endangered Species Recovery Act
(ESRA), which I introduced earlier this month."

Senator Larry Craig said, "This is a recognition that grizzly bears are
thriving in the Yellowstone ecosystem.  They will continue to thrive
without the stranglehold the ESA places on federal land managers."

Representative Mike Simpson said, "This is a great day for Idaho, rarely
do we see endangered species delisted, this year the wolf and now the
grizzly bear are being removed.  The state can now properly manage these
animals without the added burden of federal bureaucracy."

Representative Bill Sali said, "The delisting of the Yellowstone
Grizzlies is an important milestone, and something that should have
happened years ago. Management of the species and their habitat belongs
with the states, not the federal government."

The recovery process has extended over 26 years, from fewer than thirty
adult females in the 1980s to a current population of over 500 animals.
The current population is growing at 4 to 7 percent a year.

#  #  #

To directly link to this news release, please use the following address:
http://crapo.senate.gov/media/newsreleases/release_full.cfm?id=271133.

This is generated from an unattended mailbox. If you have constituent
comments or information you would like forwarded to Senator Crapo,
please do so at the Senator's website, http://crapo.senate.gov
<http://crapo.senate.gov/> . Comments sent to this e-mail address will
not be responded to.