[Vision2020] ...but they will not testify under oath inthematter

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Thu Mar 22 14:18:40 PDT 2007

Gary writes:

"2. I can accept that the current administration used the intelligence that it had available at the time to make decisions about invading Iraq. When you attempt to put your own personnel spin on it by using terms such as "grossly in error" I'm afraid I must disagree. No intelligence is perfect except in retrospect."

Let's see.  In addition to:

...the bi-partisan senate committee report which concludes after months of investigations and testimony from all sides of the issue:

"that there was no prewar evidence that Saddam was building weapons of mass destruction and there was no evidence that Saddam had links to al-Qaeda."

There was that prophetic statement:

"The Iraqis will welcome the U.S. military with open arms, throwing flowers at them when they parade through Baghdad!"

Those flowers have killed over 3,000 fellow Americans and wounded more than 25,000 others.

Here's where we agree:  Intelligence is not perfect.  If you have read the material I referred to, you will know that in the case of Iraq, the intelligence wasn't even in the ballpark of being poor.  Many intelligences sources are salespersons selling things that the buyers want to hear rather than true, e.g. Chalabi, whose latest spiel from yesterday you will be delighted to read http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/16944011.htm or any other news service of your choice.

Where we don't agree is that the errors noted above were not gross errors.  Perhaps if you Googled "intelligence gross errors Iraq" [842,000 hits] you might find among the articles evidence that I am not the only one who has characterized the intelligence as grossly erroneous or something similar; you might even find some well known conservatives.  If you really are arguing that such miscalculations were not gross errors, perhaps you missed the following earlier in the week:

Persuasive definition
>From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
A persuasive definition is a form of definition which purports to describe the 'true' or 'commonly accepted' meaning of a term, while in reality stipulating an uncommon or altered use, usually to support an argument for some view, or to create or alter rights, duties or crimes. The terms thus defined will often involve emotionally charged but imprecise notions, such as "freedom", "terrorism", "democracy" etc.

An example is the definition of the term "date rape" as "sex with an intoxicated person after a party". The extremely negatively charged term "rape", typically used for sex without consent, sometimes even enforced by physical violence, is used here to increase the condemnation of the described behavior. The definition of "software piracy" as the act of infringing the copyrights of computer programs is another example.

Persuasive definitions commonly appear in controversial topics such as politics, sex, and religion, as participants in emotionally-charged exchanges will sometimes become more concerned about swaying people to one side or another than expressing the unbiased facts.

The term "persuasive definition" was introduced by philosopher C.L. Stevenson as part of his emotive theory of meaning.

[edit] References
  a.. Stevensen, C.L. "Persuasive Definitions." Mind Vol. 47, No. 187. (July 1938), pp. 331-350
  b.. Stevenson, C.L., Ethics and Language, Connecticut 1944

It is not worth my time to Google for you all the references including some from congressional reports and even from the DOD itself claiming that the pre-Iraq-War intelligence was cooked to provide justification for invading Iraq.  Nothing, even a statement from Bill O'Reilly himself, could convince you.

I am sorry that I outed your "private message."  But I didn't notice that it was private since it was not marked that way.  If you ever wish to send me a private message that I cannot accidentally post, you may send it to waf at moscow.com

W.