[Vision2020] A Feel-Good Vote

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Mar 14 12:02:57 PDT 2007

>From today's (March 14, 2007) Lewiston Tribune with thanks to Mac Cantrell.

A feel-good vote

Did you know that Idaho is the seventh state from the bottom in public
school funding?

Yet the drop-out rate in the Moscow school district is almost 20 percent
below the national average. Our district's kids ranked higher than the state
average in every grade tested and for every testing category in the Idaho
Standards Achievement Tests (ISAT) last spring.

This is partly because our school district has managed to keep class sizes
reasonably small and maintain programs such as the junior high teaming
program, which reduces discipline problems and helps students successfully
transition from elementary school to junior high.

Our district has been able to do these things because enough people in this
town have voted for the district's supplemental spending levy in the past.
Unfortunately, the levy never gets a raise unless we vote for one. It's for
a constant number of dollars in an era when Mr. Inflation keeps raising the
ante.

Its been five years now since we last increased the levy amount. During that
time, the school district has needed to deal with both increased regular
costs and increased staffing requirements. It's time to remember on March 27
to save 15 minutes of your time. Vote. Then continue your day, feeling good
that you're helping maintain a good education for every kid in this town.

Mac Cantrell
Moscow

Seeya at the polls on March 27th, Moscow.

Tom "Restoring faith in our future by voting 'Yes'" Hansen
Moscow, Idaho

"I think one of the best ways to support education is to make successful
private schools like Logos prosper through tax exemption."

- Donovan Arnold (July 11, 2005)