[Vision2020] Vision2020 : Gambinos

Saundra Lund sslund at roadrunner.com
Tue Mar 13 14:11:57 PDT 2007

>From the Moscow-Pullman Daily News:

"Biz Bits: Venerable Sixth Street eatery slated for demolition
By Murf Raquet
Friday, September 15, 2006 - Page Updated at 12:00:00 AM

Gambino's had been a student and family hangout for decades.

The restaurant hovered on West Sixth Street in the town-gown DMZ between the
University of Idaho and downtown Moscow. It's a great location, well within
walking distance for most customers.

Ellen Roskevitch, who owned the business for years with her late husband,
Don, closed the business after she accepted an offer from Larry Swanger to
buy it.

Swanger, owner of the Subway franchises in Moscow, Pullman and Colfax, saw
potential in the building.

Unfortunately, that's not how it worked out. The building is coming down.

Under city guidelines, the remodeled building would have to be raised
because it is in a flood zone, Swanger said.

For Swanger, starting from scratch was the best option.

The roof leaked and the building would require a huge cleaning effort.

"I have no patience to worry about drips," he said. "And I don't want bugs
or rodents."

Demolition will be in a few weeks after the regulatory hurdles are overcome.

The new brick building will be 4,400 square feet, about twice the size of
the old one.

It will seat 160-180 in the dining area. The bar area will have additional
seating for 30.

Swanger will stay with Italian-style food - he's keeping some of the
Gambino's favorites - with an emphasis on pizza and the addition of a salad
bar.

"Moscow just has industrial pizza places. I can say it because I'm an
industrial sandwich maker," he said. "I want to bring back college pizza
atmosphere."

Everything in the building will be new with the exception of a 60-quart
Hobart mixer, which is being refurbished in Spokane. All the old equipment
and appointments, including the tile from the roof, was sold at auction.

The new building won't have an open patio.

"I want to be able to control the temperature and I don't want to deal with
the fly problem," he said

Swanger, a former business teacher, is acting as the general contractor on
the job and will do the finish work himself as he does at the Subway stores.

That explains why the new Subway on the Troy Highway is a little late in
opening.

Instead of finishing the work, he has been spending some of his off time
coaching football in Troy.

The new business hasn't been officially named yet, but it's getting close.

Even though the old Gambino's name won't hang outside, Swanger hopes to
include some of the old restaurant's memorabilia in the new place.

Swanger also owns the old Chevron building on the corner of Third and Main
streets. It's been a guessing game of sorts as to what he'll do with it.

After the new Subway and the un-named Sixth Street restaurant are up and
running, Swanger promises to begin work on the former gas station.

"It will be a food place," he said. "Unless someone offers me a ridiculous
amount of money."