[Vision2020] Words Bring Pause

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Mar 13 06:07:45 PDT 2007

Arnold stated:

"Why else does it bother me, because English being a second language in
parts of my own country, well when I cannot find something in the store and
and every person that works there doesn't speak English, it is a problem. It
happens to me in Boise, Phoenix, LA, Las Vegas, places in Washington State
and Oregon, and lots of other places."

Let me preface my comments with the fact that I was born and raised in Los
Angeles.  I lived in two communities (Lynwood and Northridge) in Los Angeles
from the day I was born in June of 1951 until the day I enlisted in June of
1969.

During the course of those eighteen years I do not recall one incident where
communication was a barrier, although a considerable portion of my neighbors
in Lynwood were (and still are) Hispanic.  Every summer when I fly down to
visit my father and sister I visit the old neighborhood in Northridge.  I
have no problem talking with the locals (more Hispanic now than in 1969).
Another thing I saw was neighborhood parents (both Hispanic and Anglo)
shooting the breeze together out in front of their houses with their kids
playing together.  It reminded me a lot of when I was growing up there.
Sure.  Communities in Northridge are becoming more and more gated.  But this
is not a result of a desire to separate cultures, but as a defense mechanism
against the increasing presence of gangs (both Hispanic and Anglo).
Neighbors look after neighbors back in 1969 as well as in 2007.  I still
have no problem ordering and enjoying a beer with some new friends at
Johnny's Dugout on Sepulveda Boulevard.

Arnold further states:

"My friend bought a refrigerator from a store and the instructions on
putting it together and maintaining it properly where in Spanish, that can
be a problem."

Your friend bought a refrigerator that he had to put together??????

And yet Arnold continues:

" . . . how about when I was driving from Phoenix to LA and there was a
serious accident, I was seriously delayed in providing first aid to the
victims because one of them could not speak English. I was spending time
trying to figure out what he was trying to say rather than doing what needed
to be done."

So, what you are trying to sell us is that instead of attempting to
administer first-aid life-saving steps on his own, this man decides to wave
down Arnold (who is now not only a political scientist and liberal activist
[your words, not mine], but also an EMT).  Why didn't anybody try either
using a cell phone or an emergency telephone (any of which are scattered on
the highways virtually throughout southern California)?

Let me close my comments with a reflection on the Los Angeles City School
District.  Before I could graduate from Chatsworth High School, I was
required to successfully complete one year of Spanish and one semester of
another foreign language (I chose French.  That was a mistake.).  Although
the Spanish I learned was nice to know, it was not a necessity.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Senor Tom Hansen

Moscow, Idaho

"As more and more heathens 'choose' to not have children the number of Godly
souls will increase. If the number of Christian births out number the number
of Islamic births the battle will be over in 3 or 4 generations."

- Doug "No-Clue" Farris (March 10, 2007)