[Vision2020] NYTimes.com: Between Black and Immigrant Muslims, an Uneasy Alliance

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Sun Mar 11 15:41:37 PDT 2007

A few years ago my wife and I were on an eastern Caribbean cruise. In
Trinidad we took a tour of the island. Our driver was a local Hindu,
whose ancestors had been brought over by the British for cheap labor.
There were four of us tourists in the cab. At a major downtown
intersection he pointed out two mosques, diagonally across from each
other. He told us one was the Near Eastern mosque and the other was
the Black Muslim mosque. "And the two hate each others' guts." I
thought he was probably exaggerating the situation, being a Hindu,
but apparently there are differences between the two groups.

He also invited us to visit some rural relatives who grew spices and
flowers. When we got back into town he took us to the local Hindu
temple. It was a beautiful open-air place, with pews for the younger
people and lots of floor space for the more traditional older people.
Judy and I, being cat people, were also pleased to meet the temple
cat, a beautiful Siamese. But I digress.

Ralph

suehovey at moscow.com suehovey at moscow.com
Sun Mar 11 12:32:34 PDT 2007

This page was sent to you by: suehovey at moscow.com.

Interesting reading. It isn't just here in Moscow that folks of good
will struggle to get along. Sue

NEW YORK REGION | March 11, 2007
Between Black and Immigrant Muslims, an Uneasy Alliance
By ANDREA ELLIOTT
Only 28 miles separate a mosque in Harlem from one on Long Island.
Yet a vast gulf divides them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/11/nyregion/11muslim.html?
ex=1174276800&en=5441aa33ed824a6b&ei=5070&emc=eta1