[Vision2020] Ed the Viking, Greenland, and Global Warming

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 18:03:20 PDT 2007

Megan et. al.

Thanks for your UN FAO source on the figures for livestock impacts on global
warming gases.  My searches on this subject did not discover this source.

First, let me state I would be happy to find the human race switching from
animal food sources to other forms of nutrition.  I agree that the animal
food industry has serious negative impacts on the environment, and is often
a wasteful inefficient means of food production in a world of 6 billion and
counting, with plant based foods a more efficient and often healthier
alternative.  Not to mention being often cruel to the animals, which I find
particularly objectionable.  I have eaten a totally non animal product diet
and been as healthy as a horse, though lately I have been eating some animal
products, trying to avoid this as a staple for my diet.

However, given the misinformation and propaganda that gets tossed around
regarding global warming, which I regard as a very serious threat to
planetary ecosystems and the survival of millions of human beings, I think
it is important to stay within the bounds of referenced scientific data when
discussing this subject.  The global warming skeptics who wish to spread
misinformation on global warming count on the public not doing the research
necessary to discover the junk science they promote.  Climate science is a
very complicated subject, and it is easy to use figures and statistics
juggled this way and that to come up with the conclusions sought.

It appears there is a significant disagreement regarding methane releases
and other greenhouse gases, and their total impact on global warming,
related to livestock, from credible scientific sources.  I quoted numerous
sources referencing scientific studies that cast doubt on some of the claims
in the UN FAO article.  If you read objectively through the sources I
quoted, they should raise doubts.

For example, the World Resources Insitute article I quoted on global
transport claims that transport is over 18 percent of CO2 impacts on global
warming, and the highest estimates of the GWP (global warming potential)
from human sourced methane I could find was 18 percent, of which only a
fraction can come from livestock, if you view the information from the
Emission Database for Global Atmospheric Research.  Note the NASA article on
methane releases from rice paddies, asserting 8 percent of human methane
releases are or were from this source alone.  I quoted another source that
listed rice paddies along with livestock as significant sources of human
related methane releases.  There are numerous other human related
significant sources of methane release from fossil fuel related activities,
landfills, waste treatment and disposal (how many people realize that human
waste and its treatment and disposal releases large amounts of methane, with
a human population over 6 billion and counting?), etc. The chart on methane
referenced from the Emission Database for Global Atmospheric Research,
listing percentages of the methane coming from various human
sources, contradicts the claim from the FAO that livestock accounts for 37
percent of human related methane releases.  The National Energy Information
Center source I offered providing data on the USA's human sourced methane
releases gave a figure of 9 percent of greenhouse gases from methane
domestically.

Also, I referenced a Nature article that analyzed the GWP of methane and
found that, when considering all factors, such as methane's 12 year
atmospheric lifespan before dissipating in the atmosphere, compared to CO2s
100 year plus lifespan, methane has 3.7 times more GWP than CO2 per mole.
This casts serious doubt on the FAO article's assertion that methane is 23
times more powerful a greenhouse gas than CO2, a figure you often hear
tossed around without full understanding of the facts of climate science.

I could go on, but...who is readying this dry prose, anyway?

Given disagreements of this magnitude on a difficult scientific issue, I'm
going to withhold judgement on the data regarding the impacts of livestock
on global warming, while agreeing that the livestock industry is
environmentally unsound for a number of reasons, and does
contribute significantly to global warming gases, in part from land use
impacts, burning forests for cow pasture, etc.

I long ago quit eating beef almost entirely in part because of the clearing
and burning of forests to make way for cattle...even in the Brazilian rain
forest!

I need to fully study in total the IPCC latest report on climate change.  It
may offer the latest data on livestock impacts on climate change, along with
every other known climate change variable.

Ted Moffett