[Vision2020] Global Warming, etc.

Megan Prusynski megan at meganpru.com
Mon Mar 12 15:28:05 PDT 2007

Roger,
Your vegetarian daughter seems like a very smart person. Like her,
I'm willing to pay a little extra for organic food; I see it as an
investment in my health and the planet's. Plus it's relatively cheap
considering I don't buy meat or cheese and avoid overly processed &
packaged foods which tend to be pricier. Anyway, props to your
daughter for her compassionate and wise food choices. :)

Nutritional yeast is a vegan source of Vitamin B12. Hemp seeds & flax
seeds are excellent sources of all the essential amino acids,
including Omega 3 & 6. Many products such as cereals and fortified
soy or rice milk also contain B12 and other essential nutrients. Iron
is another one some vegans have difficulty obtaining, but considering
it can be found in many green leafy vegetables (which are pretty much
the healthiest things on the planet), they must be what I call "junk
food vegans." :) There are plant sources of every nutrient necessary
for human health, and meat is definitely not necessary for a healthy
diet (just the opposite, actually - it is acidic and full of fat and
cholesterol). And alas, there is no cholesterol in a vegan diet so
the risk of America's #1 killer, heart disease, is greatly
diminished. It also reduces the risk of cancers such as colon cancer,
which is very closely linked to meat consumption. Lots of research
has been done on this subject, I doubt it's very well publicized
since the meat/dairy/egg industries have huge lobbies and will do
just about anything to keep   the truth about their products hidden.

As for PETA, I really don't even want to get into a debate about it,
as I believe I have brought it up before. But, for the record, PETA
does not use illegal methods in promoting animal rights, they do not
condone terrorism, violence, or destruction of property at all and
have never used these methods in their campaigns. I think there is a
lot of misinformation floating around and a lot of confusion with
other groups in the animal rights movement, but I can assure you that
PETA does not do anything illegal in its campaigns. They were
actually recently audited and investigated by the FBI (along with
Greenpeace, ACLU, and many other "leftist" organizations the gov't
was suspicious of for some reason) and the FBI found nothing linking
them to terrorism or illegal acts of any kind, and no citations were
made. I know many people disagree with PETA and their often bold
tactics, but they are not illegal and they are certainly not
advocates of terrorism. Perhaps you are confusing PETA with ALF?
There is no connection between the two groups other than both are
interested in helping animals. Hope this has cleared up any confusion...

Anyway, let's lay the issue to rest, shall we? Everyone has a choice
and can eat whatever they wish, that's fine by me. I just like to
share my experience and I think everyone should have the right to
know where their food is coming from. :)

peace,
~Megan