[Vision2020] Words Bring Pause

Dan Carscallen areaman at moscow.com
Mon Mar 12 06:35:23 PDT 2007

All this talk of official languages brought questions to my mind . . .

If I were to travel to another country, would it not be polite of me to
learn their language before I go?  And if I was to move to such a
country, would it not behoove me to learn the language spoken by the
majority?  Or should I emigrate to said country and get all up in arms
about how this country should not only allow me to speak my language,
but they should also accommodate me and my language usage by having
necessary forms printed in my language to make my life easier?

It just seems a double standard:  "I'll honor your stuff, but we'll
accommodate you with our stuff."

I hope I'm getting my point across.  It seems an hour earlier than
normal this morning for some reason . . .

DC