[Vision2020] Words Bring Pause

Nicholas Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Sun Mar 11 22:47:03 PDT 2007

Greetings:

I haven't looked at David's URL, but I'm pretty sure that India has at
least 25 official languages with English as default linguistic mode.

Nearly each of the states have their own language, from Punjabi in the
Northwest, Hindi in North and Central India, and Bengali in the East.
Then there is Marathi  and Gujarati in the West, Telegu in South
Central, Kannada in the South, and Tamil in the Southeast.  And many more.

The Northerns tried to force Hindi on the South and the Tamils and
others rose up in raging protest.  Kids in Southern India grow up
learning 4-5 languages on their playgrounds and then go to
English-medium schools, and the cream of the crop go to grad schools
that are rank just behind Harvard, Yale, and Princeton.

On one of my trips to India I changed planes in Bangkok and it was
loaded with young Indians.  I asked one of them where they had been and
he said that they had just taken exams in English to become medical
interns in the U.S.  He boasted that he and his compatriots got the best
scores on the exams because Indian students have the best English
language skills.

My experience has been that young Asians and Europeans are speaking and
writing better English than many American young people.  The "English
Only" movement just us makes us look like a bunch of isolationist hicks.
 The U.S. dominated the 20th Century, but we will certainly we not in
this century.

Nick Gier