[Vision2020] Words Bring Pause

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Sun Mar 11 22:22:53 PDT 2007

Sorry, Sue, not quite right.

Belgium has 3 official languages" Dutch, French and German. Flemish
is officially the same as Dutch, per agreement between the
Netherlands (Holland) and Belgium in 1973. Walloon is the same as
French. German is used by a small (100,000) minority of people next
to the German border.

Canada is officially bilingual federally but Quebec recognizes only
French. The only officially bilingual (English and French) province
is New Brunswick, more to please the Acadians, some of whom returned
from forced exile in Louisiana, than the French in Quebec. In Quebec
all signs must be in French but may be followed by the same wording
in English underneath the French.

In Flanders I noticed that all road signs were in Dutch only, just as
in Quebec they are in French only. But in Brussels they are
bilingual, probably because it is the capital of the country.

In Montreal, Quebec, I saw ONE highway sign in English: a large sign
on the main freeway, pointing south, saying USA, not EUA/USA. In
Ontario road signs in bilingual areas are in both languages. In
federally controlled parts of Canada, such as national parks, the
road signs are in French/English.

One of the favorite gripes of many Anglophone Canadians, like my
sister in Victoria, is about how dreadful the French are. This
extends to France as well. I understand that many Quebecers feel the
same about "les anglais."

When I was young and beginning to learn German in high school, a
Swiss-Canadian, who spoke both German and French, told me about how
narrow-minded many English tended to be. They made no effort to learn
anybody else's language, but loved to complain, "Ehoh, they cahn't
speak English!"

It must be nice to have somebody to look down on.

Enough said.

Ralph

Sue Hovey suehovey at moscow.com
Sun Mar 11 20:13:43 PDT 2007

And so does Canada.

Belgium has three, I think: French, Walloon, and Flemish

Why now?  We have always been a nation of immigrants, and most of
them are
eager to learn English. When we pass restrictive laws such as this one,
there should, at a minimum, to be a mechanism in place to provide
non-English speaking adults with the classes to help them.  Didn't
happen,
though.  We're big into telling folks what they must do if they want
to live
here, we aren't much into helping them do it, though.

Sue Hovey