[Vision2020] University of Idaho Security Breach

Debbie Gray graylex at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 10 12:57:30 PST 2007

I don't recall saying it was 'ok' that the security
breach happened. I am not thrilled with it but that
doesn't make me run around willy nilly calling for
heads to roll as Tom Hansen is.

My point when I brought up Citibank/Chase was that
their kind of security breaches are more likely
because someone is intentionally trying to hack in and
get information. The latest breach at the UI seems
more like a big human oops, not that someone had
hacked in and downloaded all of our SSN, etc. There
are lots of procedures/policies in place when working
with sensitive survey data, personal data, etc.
already but, unfortunately, that can't ENSURE there
will be 100% security.

I am not a security expert so I can't address what is
being done and what still needs to be done at the UI.
I don't see how more legislation will prevent this
particular event, could you explain? There will always
be human error. I don't think any reasonable person
would argue against that =)

So YES I am concerned, YES I think this will spur more
policies and procedures at the UI, NO I don't think
that will necessarily solve anything 100%  and NO I
don't think administrative heads should roll.

debbie gray
Debbie