[Vision2020] Poster Biographies --

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 00:53:05 PDT 2007

Matt et. al.

I don't care if people want to put extensive biographies on Vision2020.  I'm
sure many of the list members have the most fascinating lives, and that the
bios offered are given with the best of intentions.  I was merely stating
my preference for discussions that stick to ideas and issues, rather than
discussions that focus on the personalities of list members, given how often
these discussions degenerate into personalizing ad hominem psychoanalyzing
nonsense that wastes bandwidth.

Of course the expertise and education of list members is worthwhile
biographical info when considering their input on ideas and issues.  Knowing
who is a lawyer, a computer scientist, or a well published philosopher, for
example, is relevant when considering the credibility of their comments that
touch on these fields.

Maybe these bios do bring some people together "a wee bit more," as you
wrote, though I doubt they bring "all of us" together a wee bit more.  See
Saundra Lund's quote below regarding "pollyana" and the realities of the
Vision2020 list (and her entire post at the bottom commenting on the risks
of personal info placed on the public global Internet).

Given that I made several points in my post, I'm not exactly sure what point
prompted you to write "couldn't disagree with you more?"  That George W.
Bush was elected based on a media driven "cult of personality," when his
skill and knowledge were insufficient to wisely lead the most powerful
nation on Earth?  That personal information has been used against Vision2020
subscribers to attack them?  Or do you disagree that corporations keep
computerized data bases on US citizens, with personal information that those
involved do not know is being kept?

As to the second point, I believe it a matter of fact, discoverable if you
have followed Vision2020 closely for the past few years, and/or if you can
trust the veracity of what Saundra Lund posted on this subject in this
thread (I read Saundra's "Copyright" instructions regarding her post
content, and this is within the Vision2020 list, thus acceptable, I trust):

"Pollyanna has already learned the hard way that not everyone here is who
they say they are, and not everyone here has pure motives."

As to the first point, given the view held by a clear majority of US
citizens at this point in the Bush presidency, it appears there must be a
sizable number of those who voted for Bush based on his personal appeal and
image, who now are reconsidering their opinion of Bush's expertise

As to the last point, with a little research anyone can discover this is a
fact also.

Ted Moffett