[Vision2020] Fw: Avista & Trees

Linda Pall lpall at moscow.com
Fri Jun 29 17:25:34 PDT 2007

Dear Visionaries All,

I think Roger Blanchard's response to me was instructive! We're lucky to
have him on city staff.

My reommendation is call Avista and ask exactly when your property might be
getting the visit from the trimmers and BE THERE for the occasion. I know
this is tough but it's important. The tree people try to do the best they
can but I think it is important to be there to let them know your concerns.
I am especially concerned about reports like Roger Hayes' comment on 8th
Street. Those are horror stories and do not meet the goals of either the
City & homeowner or the power company!

On the larger question of protecting trees, I take issue with Dan
Carscallen's comments:
"While I'd just as soon leave the trees, I'd not like to see Moscow end
up in an emergency situation during a severe weather event that might
cause trees to fall on power lines creating outages.

Those trees are real nice 'til they cut you out of power for a few days.
Then they are the debbil."

The tradeoff is not as he suggests. Proper trimming can preserve tree and
reduce the likelyhood of power outages. The problem comes when tree pruning
goes crazy and results in misshapen, out-of-balance trees that are far more
susceptible to disease and wind damage, just as Bev Bafus noted. What Roger
Blanchard is trying to do for the City and what you can do for your own
property is work with the Avista tree pruners to assure that the minimum of
disturbance is visited on your street trees.

We need to encourage Avista and their evolving, progressive approach to tree
preservation AND to efficient service. We can work together to avoid the
horrow stories and to achieve both goals: beautiful tree canopies on Moscow
streets and safe power distribution.

All the best,

Linda Pall
Moscow City Council