[Vision2020] Poster Biographies --

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 28 21:01:44 PDT 2007

Born in Santa Monica, moved to Malaysia before I turned three when my dad
got a job there.  Returned to the US at 17, though my folks remained in
Malaysia until 1987; in between, ninth and tenth grades at boarding school
in Bangalore, India.  A bunch of my classmates are gathering there this week
for our thirtieth reunion; most of us left in '77 after the tenth grade
school-leaving exam.

Went to UC Davis, crawled out with terrible grades; some people shouldn't go
to college at 18.  Went back to Sacramento State to get my grades up when I
decided to go to law school.

Fought wildland fires for ten summers.  Ended up here because I was applying
to law schools and smokejumper bases around the same time, and was picked up
by the Boise Smokejumpers (BLM).  Law school here made sense.  Jumped fires
in Alaska, Nevada, Utah, and Colorado for four seasons.  My rookie season I
saw three grizzlies, two moose, countless bald eagles, and an osprey
grabbing a salmon out of the Katmai River, all on one fire.  Kai, I wonder
why anyone gets on a 'perfectly good airplane' without a parachute.
Dislocated my left shoulder on my last jump on the Humboldt NF, near Ely,
NV, and that was it.

Never been mauled by animals, wild or tame.

Got married right before law school, Anne-Marie joined me here my second
year, and I talked her into staying.  Two kids.  I was a deputy prosecutor
for two and a half years for Nez Perce County, worked for a small Lewiston
firm for five years,  and now am one of Latah's two public defenders.  I
like working where I live, and I get to see my family much more.

Sunil